Lethargic call duckling- please help

countrygirl345

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Michigan
I have four 1 week old call ducklings. They were all fine yesterday, but this morning one of them was acting lethargic. It doesn't run and splash around like the others, although it does walk to eat and drink, which I take as a good sign. Aside from that, it just stands or sits and stays still with some very slight wobbling/quivering. I read in Storey's Guide that it may have been botulism from bad feed, which could be a possibility because they did get their feed fairly wet. I gave them new feed (starter, non-medicated) and molasses water to act as a laxative and clear their digestive systems. They also get their brooder pretty wet, but I change the bedding every day. This is my first time raising ducklings. Any advice is appreciated.

What type of feed are you feeding? With only one being sick I doubt it's botulism. Can you post some poop pictures and tell us what feed they are getting? Are you supplementing with any extra niacin?

What type of feed are you feeding? With only one being sick I doubt it's botulism. Can you post some poop pictures and tell us what feed they are getting? Are you supplementing with any extra niacin?
I am feeding Dumor chick starter with 20% protein, non-medicated. I don't have a poop picture, but would describe it as brown and slightly watery, no blood. I did not supplement with niacin as the breeder I bought them from said it wasn't necessary.

Chick starter doesn't have enough niacin in it for water fowl babies so they def need some extra. I use Nutritional yeast some use Brewers yeast or Plain niacin tablets. Not flush free or time released.

Not sure TSC would carry anything like that. But Walmart will have Brewers yeast or Niacin tablets just make sure to get Plain b3{niacin}
I'd call ahead first to make sure. They may even carry Nutritional yeast all in Pharmacy

Once you get either of these it's 1 Tab of BorN yeast per cup of feed 125mgs of niacin to 1 gal of water crush the tablets mix in the water or you might look for liquid B complex then you can add drops into drinking water just look for at least 125mgs of Niacin

Back
Top Bottom