Lethargic chick/chick being picked on

Riv-6

Free Ranging
Mar 19, 2020
SW Montana
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so please let me know if I should post it elsewhere.

I just got my chicks this morning and unfortunately this little one is being picked on. Is there something I can put on its beaks to keep the others from pecking it or to help it heal?

Also, this same chick was eating/drinking when it arrived but now seems very lethargic. It lifts its head and opens its eyes then goes right back to sleeping. I put electrolytes in their water but is there something else I can do? I'm hoping it's just tired/wore out from shipping but all the others run around etc so I'm a little concerned. When it was up and about, it seems to just hang by itself and the others seem to push it around.
20200528_100847.jpg
20200528_120628.jpg

It's normal for weak chicks to get pecked at. You can separate it. I see you are using a heat plate. It may no be warm enough. I'm not totally sure how those work, but I believe chicks need to be touching it?

Your chick also looks polish? Some can be more prone to head injuries if pecked on the crest.

Some chicks just can't handle the shipping process. How long was it in transit? I personally just use brown sugar in my water to give them a quick boost. Sometimes chicks have low blood sugar on arrival. I use a teaspoon to a quart. Electrolytes should do the same if they contain a sugar source.

About all you can do is get that energy source in them and make sure they are warm enough.

It's normal for weak chicks to get pecked at. You can separate it. I see you are using a heat plate. It may no be warm enough. I'm not totally sure how those work, but I believe chicks need to be touching it?

Your chick also looks polish? Some can be more prone to head injuries if pecked on the crest.

Some chicks just can't handle the shipping process. How long was it in transit? I personally just use brown sugar in my water to give them a quick boost. Sometimes chicks have low blood sugar on arrival. I use a teaspoon to a quart. Electrolytes should do the same if they contain a sugar source.

About all you can do is get that energy source in them and make sure they are warm enough.

Thank you. They were in transit for 3 days. It has gotten worse this evening. It now is acting like its gasping for air. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm gettin nutri drench tonight but not sure if it's even okay to try to give it when she's gasping like she is. She seems like she's in quite a bit of distress.

Hoping its not something the other chicks will get. The others are doing well, running around etc.

I have electrolytes in their water and a separate waterer with plain fresh water. How long should I leave the water with electrolytes?

It's highly unlikely it's anything contagious. Electrolytes should only be offered for a few days at most. I generally do the sugar for 1-2 days. By than they should be eating well.

It's probably not going to make it at this point. I personally would try to drip something sweet into it to see if it helps. Karo syrup, a bit of sugar water, or similar quick sugar source. If it's low blood sugar it will perk up within an hour. Even getting it on the tongue would help.

It's highly unlikely it's anything contagious. Electrolytes should only be offered for a few days at most. I generally do the sugar for 1-2 days. By than they should be eating well.

It's probably not going to make it at this point. I personally would try to drip something sweet into it to see if it helps. Karo syrup, a bit of sugar water, or similar quick sugar source. If it's low blood sugar it will perk up within an hour. Even getting it on the tongue would help.

Okay I will leave the electrolytes in for another day or two.

What ratio of sugar to water do you do?

Back
Top Bottom