Lethargic chick with hard swollen abdomen

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I ordered 15 chicks that hatched on Monday and came yesterday. 14 of them are doing great. The Andalusian chick is a little lethargic. She's not eating much, but still drinking. She has a hard abdomen. None of the others do. I'm not sure what to do. She sleeps a lot just like any other newly hatched chick, but she doesn't really run around at all. Any ideas on what's going on? Will she be ok? Any advice appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I would check for pasty butt. If the chick has droppings dried over the vent, it is not able to poop, and of course that causes problems.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.

@Chicks In VA I'm not really a good person to tag for this kind of question. I know the very basics of how to recognize or prevent problems, but not much about what to do.

I would check for pasty butt. If the chick has droppings dried over the vent, it is not able to poop, and of course that causes problems.

@Chicks In VA I'm not really a good person to tag for this kind of question. I know the very basics of how to recognize or prevent problems, but not much about what to do.
She has some poop on her butt, but it's not blocking her vent. She gets mad when I pick her up which is good, but she still seems lethargic. I have electrolytes and probiotics. Would it be a good idea to put one of those in the water? She's not smaller than the others.

I am sorry, if the baby has little will to eat it often isn't something you can fix. My only suggestion is to keep her warm, I often wrap them in a wool winter hat and carry them 'inside' my clothes somewhere they can have my body heat and feel my breathing and hear my heart.

I don't know if you eyedropper feed a chicken chick the way they do with wild bird foundling. I mostly worry about warmth. But if she won't pick up the appetite, please just give her love and thank her for having spent her too few days with you. It is hard, but you will spoil the others to remember her with love. Give the others treats in her memory ❤️ tell them about the sister they never met (and whose treats they are munching).

Best of luck, that is a big flock you are growing :)

I have electrolytes and probiotics. Would it be a good idea to put one of those in the water? She's not smaller than the others.
Putting either of those in one source of water, while leaving another source of plain water, should not cause any trouble. I don't know if it will help or not, but maybe. I would probably try the electrolytes rather than the probiotics.

okay sorry

The chick (Roadrunner) ate a little bit of food. She wouldn't drink any water so I put a few drops on her beak to hydrate her. I washed the poop off of her butt. I do think she is constipated. Some of the chicks have pooped 3 times since I went to see them and Roadrunner has only pooped once. The poop looked completely fine. I gave her a tiny but of coconut oil to hopefully loosen things up. Her belly doesn't feel quite as hard as before, but is still very swollen. She waddles when she walks. Roadrunner won't lay down to sleep. She will only lean on the others to keep her standing while she tries to sleep.

I really like your coconut oil idea, and she sounds better (even if just a little)

Failure to thrive is usually quicker and has very little uptick, so you may just have a feisty little roadrunner on your hands. :hugsFeel free to cuddle her, babies like to be warm next to skin, they squirm a little then curl in to the warmth. You are firmly in my prayers.

I really like your coconut oil idea, and she sounds better (even if just a little)

Failure to thrive is usually quicker and has very little uptick, so you may just have a feisty little roadrunner on your hands. :hugsFeel free to cuddle her, babies like to be warm next to skin, they squirm a little then curl in to the warmth. You are firmly in my prayers.
Thanks. I've held her a lot today. She is very stubborn.

Back
Top Bottom