Lethargic chick?

honeybunny

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
So today I go into the "chick room" to go get something and one of my chicks is flapping around, twisting and turning violently, like she's having some sort of seizure. she'd lost all control and was just flailing, flipping out all over. I picked her up and she stopped and was still tense and shaky, and she just eventually died within the next minute. Stopped breathing, eyes closed, the whole deal. After sitting with her for a few minutes, I was sure she was dead.

Now I have another chick looking like she's going to do the same thing. She was standing extremely erect and still and when I touched her she was very, very tensed up. She had her mouth open like she was in shock. After I picked her up and took her out though, she seemed to return to normal and is now walking normally. I made sure to watch and see that she got some water and food in her system.

My chicks are about three-four weeks old. Earlier today when I woke up and checked on them, all 7(now six) were out and about ... out of their little enclosure which they can apparently jump out of now, so I'll have to fix that. I'm thinking they may have picked something off the floor or gotten into something bad... Is there anything I can do or watch out for? :c

When chicks get out of their brooder, they can't get back in to food, water, or heat lamps. Get electrolyte solution and give it to them in place of water for a day or two, in case they are hypothermic or dehydrated.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom