Lethargic chicken as of last night

Her poop is still green but looks better, right? :fl

Attachments

• EFBBE529-64F4-4B91-AD27-F415D637CDA0.jpeg
    EFBBE529-64F4-4B91-AD27-F415D637CDA0.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Update: She is eating a little of her chick starter. Not as much as I would like but eating some. I stated her and the entire flock on Corid last night. So that will go on for 5-7 days I believe. Can I use the Safeguard at the same time as the Corid? Because I can start that today if so.
She is very agitated now being penned up (I'm glad she is still feisty). She escaped last night through the screened door, that I left open just a crack and went running to the run to see the others. I feel horrible and she's even more upset. I'm working today but my husband works from home now and he saw her eating some and drinking quite a bit. Poop is still green but she isn't pooping too much. I'm guessing that is from her not eating enough? Still looks better, I think, than the first day.
Yes, you can give Safeguard and Corid at the same time.

It sounds like she's improving. You may want to let her visit with the flock at least part of the day if she's not getting picked on. Being separated is stressful.

Yes, you can give Safeguard and Corid at the same time.

It sounds like she's improving. You may want to let her visit with the flock at least part of the day if she's not getting picked on. Being separated is stressful.
That’s good to know. I watched a video about reintegrating a chicken. I thought it’s only been 3 days, she’ll be fine. Ended up getting into a fight. So I read that separating the bully for a night or two can help. She’s really is doing much better and was so excited to see everyone. After today I’m off the rest of the week and will work to get everyone together again. Thank you again for all your help.

That’s good to know. I watched a video about reintegrating a chicken. I thought it’s only been 3 days, she’ll be fine. Ended up getting into a fight. So I read that separating the bully for a night or two can help. She’s really is doing much better and was so excited to see everyone. After today I’m off the rest of the week and will work to get everyone together again. Thank you again for all your help.
There can be a bit of drama when re-introducing. Depends on what you are calling a fight. If no blood is being drawn and its just some pecking order picking that's normal.
Separating out the higher up birds usually is not the best solution, ime. Letting them work it out and just observing goes a long way.

Oh no, really? It looked like fight (I could be wrong), this has never happened before. Jumping and kicking each other. Poppy, the chicken being integrated, had a cut waddle. She fought back thought. I got to them pretty quickly but just little damage was already done. Another chicken caught in the crossfire had her comb cut as well (Small cut). Should I buy a water gun like I've read? Put her dog crate in the run and allow them to get used to each other for a few days? Even letting them outside of the run the bully goes right after her.

Oh no, really? It looked like fight (I could be wrong), this has never happened before. Jumping and kicking each other. Poppy, the chicken being integrated, had a cut waddle. She fought back thought. I got to them pretty quickly but just little damage was already done. Another chicken caught in the crossfire had her comb cut as well (Small cut). Should I buy a water gun like I've read? Put her dog crate in the run and allow them to get used to each other for a few days? Even letting them outside of the run the bully goes right after her
Sounds like a scuffle for sure.
Water gun? Got a link to the article?

You can try crating her to see if that helps.

I've read a few places on this site of people using a squirt gun on the aggressive chicken when they fight with the new one. I'm not sure how to attach the article but I can copy one of them here:

Although We are new to caring for chickens, we had one (Henrietta) with sour crop. We followed the videos on YouTube massaged the right side of the chicken, tilted the chicken over and made sure she had enough time for air, and within a few days she was fine. However trying to re-integrate Henrietta into the flock was a challenge. Here’s the steps we took, and I’m posting this because it worked. Initially As she recovered from sour crop we had her separated, but after she was feeling better, she wanted to sleep with the other chickens at night. I picked her up and put her on one of the roosting areas, and guarded her with a squirt gun until everyone settle down. After two days just the sight of the squirt gun cause the other chickens to back off. Each morning I got up very early to take her out of the coop and I let her run free in the yard with a couple of gentle chickens . Because she was afraid of the remaining chickens attacking, I started to feed her in large groups so she got used to chickens running fast around her. After several days of that I integrated her into the run area in the morning and again guarded her with a squirt gun. A few days and she was back in the group. The whole process was about two weeks from sick to back home. Ps my family thought i was nuts, but it was worth it to see her back in the gang

I wanted to do a final follow up. Poppy is back with the flock. I put the dog crate in the runs for about two hours. Everyone hung around her the entire time. Then, I had them free range together. I had my water gun on hand should a fight break out. It was minimal unlike last time where we had an all out brawl. Looks like Poppy is at the top of the pecking order so that’s why I believe it didn’t take too long to get her back with the flock. She definitely held her own. I actually had to use the water gun on her a few times when she went after the others. Pearl (the bully yesterday) has backed down to second in the pecking order. So finally, all is well in our small little chicken world. I think it would have been a much longer process if she were lower in the order. I’m happy my girl is feeling better but I will have to watch her crazy fiesta self. Thank you so much @Wyorp Rock for all your input, it was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom