Lethargic chicken, egg bound or worse

bjm287

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2020
Northern Vermont (USDA zone 4b)
Hello
I doubt I can save her anymore but maybe someone knows.
Last night I found a leghorn chicken huddled under the coop. It was 900 at night and everyone but her had gone to bed. She was very ruffled up and looked ill.
She is just about a year old and had a sour crop a few months ago but has been healthy since. Yesterday morning she ate and drank with the rest of the flock like normal.
When I brought her in I offered food and water. She ate willingly and drank a tiny amount.
I dont think she is egg bound since my vent inspection didn't feel anything. We gave her 2 warm baths last night and thus morning.
Her stomach is very wide and hard not squishy at all.
If there is anything I can do I will but I am also prepared she may die.
Thank you

Attachments

• received_211105597196605.jpeg
    received_211105597196605.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 8
  • received_253952283131166.jpeg
    received_253952283131166.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 5
  • received_232594461978799.jpeg
    received_232594461978799.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 5
She could have ascites (water belly) or be swollen from internal laying or cancer. Most times it is hard to know until after death when a necropsy can be done. Usually they don’t live long with such a swollen belly. You can try to remove some fluid to make her more comfortable, or put her down if she seems to be suffering. Ascites fluid is yellow, and when a necropsy is done, if yellow fluid comes out of the abdominal wall, that is ascites. Cancer, fatty liver disease, egg yolk peritonitis, and heart failure are some of the diseases that can lead to ascites.

She could have ascites (water belly) or be swollen from internal laying or cancer. Most times it is hard to know until after death when a necropsy can be done. Usually they don’t live long with such a swollen belly. You can try to remove some fluid to make her more comfortable, or put her down if she seems to be suffering. Ascites fluid is yellow, and when a necropsy is done, if yellow fluid comes out of the abdominal wall, that is ascites. Cancer, fatty liver disease, egg yolk peritonitis, and heart failure are some of the diseases that can lead to ascites.
This is kind of what I was fearing.. her belly is very hard so I think she may have internal lay since of 3 leghirns I only get a white egg or 2 every few days (the rest of my birds lay brown)

Back
Top Bottom