Lethargic Chicken HELP!!

ChickenMoM2619

Chirping
Feb 13, 2019
I have a Golden Campine, and she is always full of energy and is the first one up and out of the coop and the last to go to bed. But a few days ago (like two days ago) I noticed all of a sudden she was lethargic, standing in the middle of the garden sleeping, not eating or drinking. I freaked out thinking she was egg bound, but nothing was up there. So I put her back outside and she seemed to perk up a bit and her crop was full when she went to bed last night. Well, today she is still not eating or drinking and her crop is empty, her right eye is now red on the outside and swollen. She also has a clogged up nose on the right side as well. I don't know what to do she wont eat or drink. I don't want to lose her. Any suggestions on what to do??

Last edited:
No odd noises or gurgling. She seems to be breathing okay with just the one nostril. I was able to clean the other side but not sure if it helped at all...
20190321_221849.jpg

That dear girl looks to have been beaten up.. looks like dried blood all over her comb and some points are missing.

She won't starve but she needs fluids as dehydration can be deadly fast. Try holding the water to her beak.. she may be sore.

Not sure about adult birds.. but in chicks, I will dip my finger and drip water right below the nostrils so when it rolls around into the beak they *usually* gobble a little and swallow it. A couple drops of poultry nutri drench to the beak if you have it available.

:fl

Oh my... First things first, if you haven't isolated her yet, do that. And don't handle her before you handle your others. Yes try to get her to drink and put electrolytes in her water. It appears to be coryza to me, but that's my opinion and I'm not an expert, and it's very contagious. I'm hoping one of the more educated people pop up soon and give you suggestions on how to treat and care for her. But all i know about it is she needs antibiotics and to be quarantined. Google has a lot of info on it if you want to read and see if she has all of the symptoms.

Oh my... First things first, if you haven't isolated her yet, do that. And don't handle her before you handle your others. Yes try to get her to drink and put electrolytes in her water. It appears to be coryza to me, but that's my opinion and I'm not an expert, and it's very contagious. I'm hoping one of the more educated people pop up soon and give you suggestions on how to treat and care for her. But all i know about it is she needs antibiotics and to be quarantined. Google has a lot of info on it if you want to read and see if she has all of the symptoms.
Oh, my! Okay. She is definitely isolated and I got her to take a few sips, She fusses every time I try to clean her nostril or try to put her beak in water.

That dear girl looks to have been beaten up.. looks like dried blood all over her comb and some points are missing.

She won't starve but she needs fluids as dehydration can be deadly fast. Try holding the water to her beak.. she may be sore.

Not sure about adult birds.. but in chicks, I will dip my finger and drip water right below the nostrils so when it rolls around into the beak they *usually* gobble a little and swallow it. A couple drops of poultry nutri drench to the beak if you have it available.

:fl
I got her ton drink a few sips last night. Do you think putting neosporin on her comb will help? My biggest problem is, is that I already have one chicken in my hospital because she was attacked by a hawk and I also have baby chicks in the other room so I'm running out of space and don't know where to put her. But I will diffidently give her electrolytes I also have the powered probiotics, should I give her those too?

I also have the powered probiotics, should I give her those too?
I would... it may or may not help... but it won't hurt.

I disagree about it being Coryza and your other birds would already be exposed if it were.

The wounds to the comb are minor and do not need ointment. This gal MIGHT be ok to go in with the hawk attack victim. :fl

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony, Your information and experience is ALWAYS appreciated! :highfive:

Her symptoms don’t seem severe enough to be coryza. She might have mycoplasma (MG) or a sinus infection. I would clean her nostrils well with saline or water. Clean her eye, and put some plain Neosporin into her right eye twice a day. Before you do that look for any bubbles or pus in the eye. Sometimes when chickens have a respiratory infection, they may act lethargic, and sometimes they will be pecked because they are acting differently. Her somb will heal without treatment. You can buy some antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable and some 3 ml syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles in the cattle medicines at TSC and other feed stores. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 3-5 days. That will treat MG symptoms, but viruses may have to run their course. Here is a handy link about the symptoms of common respiratory diseases, such as MG, infectious vronchitis, ILT and coryza:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom