Lethargic chicken, red comb (dark at the tips), low energy, doesn't talk, help!?

Hi again!

I'm here to update but the news isn't so swell.
I gave Blondie another spa treatment (she was sitting down this time in the blue bowl of warm water) for forty or so minutes. Her stomach felt less hard than it was yesterday. After the time was up, I pulled her out, dried her, and then gave her 250mg of calcium via syringe. The calcium was very very finely crushed and mixed with water. After two hours, nothing had happened. I started worrying while reading so many threads because all the success stories have chickens getting their eggs or shells out within thirty minutes to one hour. So I put Blondie in another bath but only for twenty minutes. After pulling her out and drying her, she started wobbling and walking really slowly by herself, like seven feet or so, and pooped out a small amount of yolk. Then I gave her three small syringes of apple cider vinegar water. (I just extracted water from their jug of acv water in the coop since that's already correctly balanced.) I've put her back in the laying box. It's 5:10pm now, and I put her back in the box at about 3 o'clock. I very recently checked back on her and she was sitting down. There wasn't any yolk near her, and still no shells.

I'm really afraid my little Blondie girl is going to die. Nothing has really changed despite the baths and calcium. I'll give her another 250mg of calcium tomorrow, though.

Anything else I can do? I haven't given her mineral oil up the vent (I don't have mineral oil though, and also her vent looks perfectly normal to me), and I also haven't actually put (cool?) water... into her vent via syringe.

Are you sure it was yolk she passed and not yellow poop?

It looked like the picture of the poop I posted earlier in the thread. I'm sure it's yolk... And I'm honestly hoping so because I'm afraid that she has the egg yolk peritonitis if it's not yolk -- and I've heard that egg yolk peritonitis has no cure if there's no available vet, and I don't have any vets around me/can't get a vet.

Are you sure it was yolk she passed and not yellow poop?
It looked like the picture of the poop I posted earlier in the thread. I'm sure it's yolk... And I'm honestly hoping so because I'm afraid that she has the egg yolk peritonitis if it's not yolk -- and I've heard that egg yolk peritonitis has no cure if there's no available vet, and I don't have any vets around me/can't get a vet.

Hi, yes your hen does have peritonitis and needs imediate medical attention!!, find a really good avian vet put her on very strong antibiotics and ask to have a desorelin implant put into her asap!, it will stop her from laying any more eggs , she should not be allowed to lay again as it will kill her for sure. I have a hen that had the exact same problem as your girl and she's had a course of antibiotics , baytril and clavamox in conjunction and had an implant put in and she is doing amazing , you can save her but you must get her help FAST!

Then you should put your hen down because she IS suffering badly and is in severe pain and it whould be inhumane to keep her alive if you caint get her to a vet because she will die without treatment sadly that's a guarantee with the problem she has, I'm very sorry you caint find a vet

We have 500mg Amoxicillin (a version of Clavamox?) at home. Does anybody know the recommended dosage for a hen?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I'm so sorry for the absence and such a late reply.

Blondie passed away this memorial day. I'm glad that the last words she ever heard were a lot of "I love you"'s and "You're the very best" among other things that she's heard her entire life.
RIP the best golden chicken in the entire universe.

I just found this thread now, and I must say that I am so sorry for yur loss. I had a buff Orpington, my favorite hen, exhibit these same symptoms, and when I took her to a chicken vet, he said she most likely had ovarian cancer. I'm thinking there's a possibility that your hen may have had this too, considering she had the same symptoms as mine. I put my sweet hen to sleep on Tuesday, so I definitely feel your sorrow. Again, my condolences for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom