Lethargic chicken, standing with eyes closed

kcal

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
NW Illinois
I noticed yesterday that one of my black australorp chickens did not look well. She was fine when I went out in the morning, but by mid-afternoon she was laying in one spot, looked very lethargic, and didn’t come running over like all my girls usually do. Watched her further and she declined more. She was just standing in one spot near the water with her eyes closed. She also has extremely watery poop (no unusual color and not foamy, just watery). I thought as first because she had her wings kind of low that maybe she was egg bound, but I gently felt around her vent and I don’t feel anything. She isn’t straining like she’s trying to lay either, just standing there. I separated her into our goat hut (the goats don’t sleep in there unless it’s bitter cold) for the night. This morning my husband said she seemed more perky, but a couple hours later when I went out she was back to just standing by the water with her eyes closed. She pooped and it was watery, but I also saw a small pinkish lump with some white on it - almost looked like fat you’d trim off a chicken breast. I don’t know what it looks like when they have worms but I’ve heard it described similar to what I saw - could that be the problem? How can I confirm and how can I go about treating her? Another one of my girls didn’t come running when I tossed in a handful of scratch grains so I’m concerned another one is getting sick too. No respiratory symptoms or nasal discharge. They are both still drinking water every once in awhile but the first has not eaten.

Back
Top Bottom