Lethargic chicken with fever

gratzalk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I have a Rhode Island Red that's probably a year or better and she's been a faithful layer. And they're huge. Anyway, she stopped laying a couple of weeks ago and now she's lethargic. Actually now she's not doing much of anything vs. lethargic. I've been giving her antibiotics and electrolites via syringe for the past two days, and while her body temperature doesn't seem as high, she's not getting better. I soaked her in a warm tub of water for about 1/2 hour yesterday but that doesn't seem to have done anything. I've felt around and I don't really feel any eggs however I've not done the rubber glove thing yet. Don't know if that would be of use or not really. I have noticed that her butt is sticking up a lot so if that says anything to anybody, please let me know. If anyone has any idea or suggestion, feel free to share because I'm pretty much at a loss now. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Do a cloacal exam to check for egg binding. If an egg is felt give her a tums/calcium tablet or liquid calcium orally,break into pieces. This will often help pass egg within an hour. Keep her quiet/warm in a dark location.

Back
Top Bottom