lethargic chicken with watery poo

Murdock624

Chirping
Sep 28, 2019
North GA
I hope someone can help. I'm still pretty new to chickens. I have a Speckled Sussex that's almost 6 months old. She's been laying eggs for about 3-4 weeks now. I noticed yesterday that she kept hiding in the spot where she likes to lay eggs. I thought maybe she was trying to go broody. Then, this morning, I found her loose in the yard instead of in the coop so she must've hid in her egg-laying spot all night (they free-range). My daughters locked up the chickens last night and didn't realize she wasn't in there. Anyway, she's been a little lethargic today, her comb is darker than normal and is flopped over instead of standing up like it usually does and her tail is down. She's not as vocal either and she's usually one of my most talkative chickens. Her poop is very watery. I did run a fecal myself (I'm still learning) and saw what I believe is coccidia, but I'm not 100% sure and there wasn't very much of what I did see. I do not have access to an avian vet or any vet that would see chickens. I have seen her drink but not eat. I added ACV and electrolytes to her water and have her in a dog kennel on the front porch. No injures that I can see and all of my other chickens are fine. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I took these a little while ago.

Attachments

• 20220926_121316.jpg
    20220926_121316.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220926_121253.jpg
    20220926_121253.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220926_121220.jpg
    20220926_121220.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 6
Then, this morning, I found her loose in the yard instead of in the coop so she must've hid in her egg-laying spot all night (they free-range).
Check for egg binding.. if she isn't broody.. but there should be a clear difference between broody and lethargy.

Coccidia are in every chicken gut.. it's the load count that determines if treatment is needed.

ETA: also check crop condition.. though it may be blocked farther down the way.. (indicated by staying in the lay place).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is her crop emptying?
Did she lay an egg yesterday or today?

I'd get some Calcium Citrate into her and see that she's drinking well.

Likely you will see some oocysts on a slide. The count is what matters, but I couldn't tell you what that should be. Chickens have Coccidia naturally, it's just when there's an overload that it's a concern.

Ok, I just checked her and cannot feel an egg. She has not laid yet today (usually lays late afternoon) and I don't think she laid yesterday either. She shares her laying spot with 2 other chickens and we only got 2 eggs from that spot yesterday. Not sure if one was hers or not. I felt her crop too and it's kind of soft. It doesn't feel empty but not completely full either. Should I soak her in some epsom salt? How much water and how much epsom salt?

She seems to be laying with her butt kind of up in the air. Could she be egg bound?

Attachments

• 20220926_145346.jpg
    20220926_145346.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220926_145339.jpg
    20220926_145339.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 5
Slight update. She seems to have perked up a tiny bit. She's drinking but not interested in food. Her poop has also changed consistency. I don't have a picture but it's a dark orangish brown and is sticky.

Can you force feed her? Give her raw yolk and dip her beak into it, or you could do a soft scramble and pop it into her beak, it's messy but she needs some nourishment. I also pop in a few kernels of their feed in and black soldier fly larvae. She needs to eat and drink. Poor baby 😢

Back
Top Bottom