Lethargic chicken!

lousybird

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
I have a 6-month-old black astralorp chicken that I suspected had sour crop. I tried not feeding her for 20 hours but her crop is still there. I then tried feeding yogurt mixed with crushed pellets for a few days. Her crop still didn't empty. Then, I bought 4% Miconazole Nitrate. I vomited her (not upside down) and with just a small squeeze, she vomited so I think her crop is overfilled. Her vomit has leaves, her feed, and has a whiteish clear color. After I started feeding her Miconazole Nitrate, I also fed her some garlic water, yogurt, and pellets. I fed her Miconazole Nitrate for 4 days already. 2 times a day. She just seems to be getting worse each day. Each day, she gets weaker. Any tips or advice would be helpful!
Her symptoms before:
crop not emptying (crop feels like a balloon but softer)
weird head movements
smelly beak for a few days
vomiting clear liquid

Her symptoms now:
crop not emptying (feels like a balloon but softer)
weird head movements
less active
weakness

Great article, hope it helps the poorly hen. Lots of massage helped when I once had a hen with impacted crop, she was very poorly initially. Not the same situation here but maybe electrolyte/glucose solution will help hydrate and give her strength.
I'm no expert but she will need fluids via syringe if necessary, small drips on end of beak seems to work, use drips off the end of your finger if no syringe
I bought this

Agrivite Solulyte Nutritional Electrolyte Aid For Poultry​

I used a recipe online whilst awaiting delivery!
4.5 litres (one gallon) of water, add :
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I use granulated white sugar, but any will work).
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride (optional)
I also used a glucose solution, glucose powder from chemist mixed with water, better than using sugar.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Here is an article which tells you how to treat sour crop. Reading your message you already know what to do...
Let's hear if the genius people of BYC have an idea what's going on....
@Miss Lydia
This past winter I had an older hen get sour crop and since this was my 2nd time to experience this since 2009 ,I relied on this same article to help me help my hen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/ It worked both times. I've never tried to get my hen to vomit too afraid of aspirating.

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I hope someone can help. Just hearing this description makes me think sour crop, possible obstruction further down as described at the bottom of the first link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

My personal instinct says definitely try some electrolytes, I would go with a mix made for poultry or other livestock. My second instinct says call/visit your local co-op try to find medistatin or call your vet. Might also try the crop bra. Have you kept her isolated w/o food? Have you checked if she's egg bound?

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I hope someone can help. Just hearing this description makes me think sour crop, possible obstruction further down as described at the bottom of the first link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

My personal instinct says definitely try some electrolytes, I would go with a mix made for poultry or other livestock. My second instinct says call/visit your local co-op try to find medistatin or call your vet. Might also try the crop bra. Have you kept her isolated w/o food? Have you checked if she's egg bound?
Thanks alot for your reply! She's better now and is hanging out with her friends. I'm kind of curious about where you can buy or how can you make electrolytes? I isolated her without food for a while but then her crop didn't empty so I gave her crushed pellets with yogurt. I haven't checked if she's egg bound but I don't think she is since she still lays eggs once in a while.

This past winter I had an older hen get sour crop and since this was my 2nd time to experience this since 2009 ,I relied on this same article to help me help my hen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/ It worked both times. I've never tried to get my hen to vomit too afraid of aspirating.
Thanks for the article and reply, I'll try the method in the article. Nothing's leaking out of her beak anymore so I'll probably skip the vomiting part. Also, I'm glad the treatment worked for both of your hens!

Great article, hope it helps the poorly hen. Lots of massage helped when I once had a hen with impacted crop, she was very poorly initially. Not the same situation here but maybe electrolyte/glucose solution will help hydrate and give her strength.
I'm no expert but she will need fluids via syringe if necessary, small drips on end of beak seems to work, use drips off the end of your finger if no syringe
I bought this

Agrivite Solulyte Nutritional Electrolyte Aid For Poultry​

I used a recipe online whilst awaiting delivery!
4.5 litres (one gallon) of water, add :
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I use granulated white sugar, but any will work).
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride (optional)
I also used a glucose solution, glucose powder from chemist mixed with water, better than using sugar.
Thanks for your reply and recipe!! I'll definitely try the recipe starting tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom