Lethargic Chicken

Strysa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
I need some advice/help with one of my birds. I went out this morning to check on them as it has been raining all night and most of the morning. To my horror on of the chickens was out of the coop in the rain. I could not for the life of me figure out how this was possible as I closed them in myself doing my usual head count, which is fairly easy as I only have three of them. Well the mystery was solved when the little neighbor girl came over to ask if I had found my bird that they had let out when she was trying to show her friend. Anyways, the worry is that the poor little thing was soaking wet and in the rain for who knows how long a few hours at least. I have seen her drink but not eat anything. I have checked her for injuries and I didn't find any. She is dry now but still just not herself. I was hoping that she would get out in the yard with the other two as it has turned out to be a pretty nice sunny day. She will follow them out but then just stands there almost like she is lost. They are about 18 weeks old and this is my first go with chickens. I am super worried about her and don't know what else I can do to help her. I was hoping that once she warmed up and dried out she would feel better but she just doesn't seem to be feeling better at all. Please help.

Hi Strysa,

The good news is, unless she has an underlying disease, being out in the rain shouldn't harm a bird of 18 weeks of age. I had a pen flood in a heavy downpour and some 4 week old chicks were absolutely drenched; they're totally fine.

You might want to watch for any developing symptoms of a respiratory illness (runny nostrils, sneeze, damp patches under wings after a night on the roost, a gurgling sound in the chest, swelling about the eyelid). But basically, don't worry.
smile.png

best wishes
Erica

Meanwhile, having just noticed the title ('lethargic chicken') perhaps it would be a good idea to check her over. Particularly feel around her breastbone and compare her muscle mass to the other girls. As long as she feels healthy and well, and has no other problems (e.g. check her vent area for signs of lice, and check for any signs of diarrhea or muck at her rear end) then just keep an eye on her for a while. Report back if she's in laying condition but has suddenly stopped, or if there's diarrhea or a mucky bottom.

You also might like to add a latch that's too high for children to work...
smile.png

She does have a runny stool or muck on her rear. I have seen her drink lots of water, and she has wondered out of the coop a few times today, but as I said before, she gets out and just stands there kind of droopy looking. I still have not seen her eat anything.

As for the latch, it has a carabiner on it, which I guess I will be changing to a combo lock. Out of all the predators I thought to protect them against I never thought of the cute little Piggy tailed girl next door. No harm was meant but all the same.

I forgot to add, she has not started to lay yet. I did see that a lot of her symptoms matched those of being egg bound but I got all of the hens from the same batch and non of them have started to lay yet.

Back
Top Bottom