Lethargic chickens, odd poo

Ozzy1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys! So I recently took in two pullets, around two months old, and they are acting very lethargic and nothing like chickens should. I gave them some sugar water and they livened up slightly.
They have produced faeces that look like different to any I've seen before. Here's a pic:
ud1WnLT.jpg

Is this normal?

The picture is blurry but it looks like there could be little white dots in the poop? The one on the right even looks like there could be a small worm in the center....but it's hard to know what we're seeing for sure. I wouldn't think at only 8 weeks old they'd have a heavy worm load but it's certainly possible. Where did you get them?

Coccidiosis is also a concern at their young age and with being moved to a new home. I think I'd treat for that first since it can be deadly in a very short amount of time, then deworm them with something effective like Valbazen with a repeat in 10 days.

Yes, you may need to dissect a little just to make sure there are no worms especially getting them at that age... Plus stressing of moving could cause a little difference...
However, I researched a bit on chicken poop because of my worry when we got chickens. There is a huge variety of what is considered "normal" with chicken poop. different looks and textures of chicken poop is very normal.

I would definitely treat those 2 with Corid or amprollium (2 tsp liquid or 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days) simple because you may have a new strain of coccidiosis (there are 9 of them) in your ground that they have no immunity to. After treatment give vitamins and probiotics for a couple of weeks. Here is the famous poop page: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
It is hard to see any worms in the picture because it is out of focus. Maybe backing up with your camera would help.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, the stool did have white dots in. I will probably treat for coccidiosis then, and have some wormer on hand. I may take a clearer picture in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom