Lethargic/depressed Hen

1mommahen

Love My Cluckin' Coop
13 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NJ
1) What type of bird , age and weight. OLIVE EGGER, 7MONTHS OLD, GETTING SKINNIER, WAS VERY ROBUST

2) What is the behavior, exactly. VERY SLOW MOVING, PECKING THE GROUND, SLEEPY

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?3 WEEKS

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.NO

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DON'T KNOW, SHE LAID FOR TWO WEEKS, WENT BROODY AND THEN THIS

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. PURINA FLOCKRAISER WITH OYSTER SHELL, YOGURT, OATMEAL

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. A LITTLE WATERY

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?DUSTED AND WORMED WITH WAZINE, THEN INVERMECTIN 14 DAYS LATER

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?SELF TREAT

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. NO PIX

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use WOOD CHIPS CHANGED EVERY 2 WEEKS SPRINKLED WITH DE

She's getting thinner by the day and just looks so depressed, pecks at food and eats very little. Still roosts at night and free ranges for about 4 hours or more per day.

Thanks for looking!
hmm.png

I'm afraid you're not getting answers because no one has a good fix, and it does not sound good.

You could try treating her for not being able to pass an egg by soaking her in a warm bath for a while then isolating her for a few days in a darkened quiet place, if she will tolerate it. Just the quiet shady or partly dark place, to encourage rest, might help. Pay her a little extra attention, favorite treats, etc. Or she may have a problem that really can't be fixed, like egg peritonitis or internal layer.

Best of luck.

hmm on the stools can you post a pic?

are they lime green and white?

you can try 10 drops of GSE (grape fruit seed extract) per gallon of water, it made my hens get alot better after acting like that then feed her cooked corn, green beans and other veggies (buy the frozen mixed bag of veggies at a store and thaw it out)

other wise a good vitamin in the water and time i guess.

Thanks for the replies, she is the same today. Seems to be more alert in the early morning but then goes back to being depressed and slow. Don't know what else to do. Guess time will tell.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom