Lethargic, Diarrhea, Closed Eyes. Ruby needs help please!

CluckerHelp

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
I am having a similar issue I have seen on here recently with one of my 2 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red hens. Her symptoms started last Saturday. I have been trying my best to do anything and at all possible to help her. Without having any local avian vets around, being put on a state ordered shelter in place declaration and just not being able to pin point her issue I am at a loss. Her symptoms started with being lethargic, neck in, puffed up like cold, and tail down. I noticed the other hens pushing her away from feed and water so I brought her in and have been keeping her in a medium sized dog crate for the time being with access to fresh water (with probiotic added) and food. I have been giving her .5mL of poultry nutri-drench daily (mainly because she has lost so much weight and I have no way to get an actual weight on her) When we brought her in I originally thought she was egg bound like the others experiencing this issue, and noticed a great deal of droppings on her bottom that were caked like pasty butt in chicks. We cleared all of that off and although her vent was fine not prolapsed and didn't feel and egg that could be stuck. I noticed that about an inch down from her vent was swollen, irritated and had yellow pus present. So, after cleaning it off I sprayed it down with vetericyn+ antimicrobial poultry care. (The skin is now a black scab and healing) She has not laid any eggs in about 5-7 days now. But is starting to hold her head a little higher. I also noticed on Tuesday she has eye goop all over her right eye when she tried to open it (which is breif) so I have her a drop of colloidal silver in each nostril in case it was a respiratory infection and continued that for 2 days which cleared up all the goop in her eyes and her breathing is no longer labored as much. She is eating but not much at all. And seems to be having some joint pain in her legs not wanting to stand much, she just seems weak. We having been taking her out and holding her up to stretch her legs a bit so she isnt laying down all the time. Her poop is very watery and has green and yellow chunks mixed throughout. I'm not seeing any lice or any other external parasites. I dont know what else to do for her. I will go and try to take pictures in case it will help any of you pin point this better. Thank you in advance for any and all of your help. My heart is breaking for her.

Last edited:
Here are the pictures of her this morning.

Attachments

• 20200328_122103.jpg
    20200328_122103.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200328_122118.jpg
    20200328_122118.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200328_122307.jpg
    20200328_122307.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 8
I am so sorry...she does not look well.
I would guess she has some kind of infection.
Vets are still open...call you local one tomorrow and see if they will see her.

Back
Top Bottom