Lethargic, droopy wings and staying still hen.

Do you have poultry feed? You can give her some wet soaked feed.

I'm not sure what's going on with her. I would suspect a reproductive issue if she's not been laying eggs.
I have been giving her electrolytes and I have also blended and made a paste of her feed. She is just not moving and not eating on her own. Shall I force feed her some food as I did with water?

She needs hydration first, then offer food.
I checked her crop and she still had the food from nearly 20 hours or before. The water had completely digested but the food was still there and she had not taken a single bite in the previous 12-20 hours. She had only drank water.

Although, she does look somewhat energetic, like better than yesterday, as when I brought water closer to her beak, she drank a little on her own.

I checked her crop and she still had the food from nearly 20 hours or before. The water had completely digested but the food was still there and she had not taken a single bite in the previous 12-20 hours. She had only drank water.

Although, she does look somewhat energetic, like better than yesterday, as when I brought water closer to her beak, she drank a little on her own.

I would start treating her for sour crop. Do keep in mind that often there is another condition that is causing the crop to slow down.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would start treating her for sour crop. Do keep in mind that often there is another condition that is causing the crop to slow down.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I massaged her crop and fed her coconut oil as informed in the article.
The food was gone after a few hours.

She is looking somewhat better today.

I checked her vent and it was so warm from the inside. I have checked vents for eggs before but this time her inside was burning. I could not feel an egg but i did feel some tissue/swelling in the left side which was quite big. Could it be a tumor?

Then I gave her Epsom salt bath. Now that the feathers are wet, I could clearly see the bloating. She has been trying to push something out.

Attachments

• 20210512_141013.jpg
    20210512_141013.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210512_141018.jpg
    20210512_141018.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 7
Poor dear, she does have a distended abdomen:(
Can you tell if it feels like fluid or ?

It's possible she may have tumor(s), cancer or is suffering from common reproductive issues like Peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc.

If there's fluid it can sometimes be drained to give the hen some relief for a short period of time. Some folks have found that offering a detox can be helpful for a time, others give an antibiotic to see if that helps for a while. Of course these are supportive measure to make the hen more comfortable and sometimes they can live for a good while longer. Other measures you can take would be to make sure her crop is emptying overnight (crop issues seem to go hand-in-hand with repro problems), that she's lice/mite free and that she doesn't get overloaded with worms.

Poor dear, she does have a distended abdomen:(
Can you tell if it feels like fluid or ?

It's possible she may have tumor(s), cancer or is suffering from common reproductive issues like Peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc.

If there's fluid it can sometimes be drained to give the hen some relief for a short period of time. Some folks have found that offering a detox can be helpful for a time, others give an antibiotic to see if that helps for a while. Of course these are supportive measure to make the hen more comfortable and sometimes they can live for a good while longer. Other measures you can take would be to make sure her crop is emptying overnight (crop issues seem to go hand-in-hand with repro problems), that she's lice/mite free and that she doesn't get overloaded with worms.
She does have a distended abdomen. It feels like fluid. I have been giving her antibiotics. Today will be the 3rd day since I have been giving it to her. Her crop is emptying overnight.

How should I check for lice/mites?

My flock bathes in dust a lot and I see them itch/preening themselves everyday.

It's normal for them to preen, but it's never a bad idea to check for lice/mites.

If the abdomen feels like fluid, sometimes it can be drained. Do some research on that to see if you think she may benefit from that.

Back
Top Bottom