Lethargic, droopy wings and staying still hen.

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My 1 and a half year old mixed Australorp plus RIR is extremely lethargic. This is the first time I have seen her this sick. She was doing just fine yesterday.

She is the favorite of her roo and so lools really damaged and has lost a lot of feather throughout her body since spring. But that never affected her energy.

We have a respiratory disease in our flock and the condition of the hens fluctuates, but it hasn't killed anyone yet. I give them this medicine prescribed by another chicken keeper and it seems to make the hens okay when their condition gets worse. I gave her this medicine.

She seems to open her mouth slightly for air. Her wings are really droopy. She hates me and usually runs really fast away but this time around, I didnt have to struggle at all to catch her. She is occasionally sneezing.

I checked her vent. I could not feel an egg but I did feel a tissue/muscle type just an inch from her vent. She seems to be moving her her behind but I think it really doesn't look like she is trying to push something out. She isn't running so I can't really tell if she is hopping or not.

I am keeping her quarantined with electrolyte and her feed.

If her condition worsens or doesnt improve in a few hours then I might feed her dog food.

Attachments

• 20210510_154617.jpg
    20210510_154617.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210510_154625.jpg
    20210510_154625.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 21
  • JPEG_20210510_162100_5155041964995346238.jpg
    JPEG_20210510_162100_5155041964995346238.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 21
Do you know when she last laid an egg? Do you notice any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below her vent between the legs?

The poop doesn't look too good. Have you ever de-wormed her? I'm not sure what you have available to you. Fenbendazole, Albazen, Levimasole, Flubendazole?

I would suspect that she's having some reproductive issues if she's not laying eggs, but she may have something else going on as well.

Do you know when she last laid an egg? Do you notice any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below her vent between the legs?

The poop doesn't look too good. Have you ever de-wormed her? I'm not sure what you have available to you. Fenbendazole, Albazen, Levimasole, Flubendazole?

I would suspect that she's having some reproductive issues if she's not laying eggs, but she may have something else going on as well.
Sorry but I have no idea when she last laid an egg. I did compare her abdomen to another hen and it does seem bloated.
I dewormed all of my flock around the end of last year.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink - see if it's empty then.
Should I feed her some soaked dog food?

Her condition is not improving. She is not moving a single cm from where I left.

What I can do to help her ?

Do you have poultry feed? You can give her some wet soaked feed.

I'm not sure what's going on with her. I would suspect a reproductive issue if she's not been laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom