Lethargic duck

Bobbimarks

Chirping
Sep 27, 2015
We have a female Pekin duck. Two Saturdays in a row now, she’s looked like she’s on death’s door. Laying on the ground with her head down, acting like she can barely move. We picked her up and put her in a cage in the garage and gave her some electrolyte water. She has done a complete 180 within an hour or two both times. She is up and about and quacking again. What would cause this? Could it be a vitamin deficiency of some sort?

I lost my Pekin to calcium deficiency she was 2 years old no strength in legs she made it 2 weeks with good days and bad days
I would take your girl to a vet to pinpoint the problem and they with give you a calcium supplement or antibiotics if she has something else . Honestly I wouldn't wait to see how she acts because it's natural for them to hide there illness/ailment to not become prey or lose there spot in the pecking order. Please post more info symptoms updates as you get them as it helps others too
Keep up the electrolytes they are awesome for ducks

Ducks are not Chickens so require a different balanced feed..What are you feeding?...
Hello @chickens really I have a question I have been feeding my male Pekin layer pellets for 3 years and my 3 muscovy girls also for 8 months with absolutely not 1 issue at all. When I first started out I only had ducks and read it's fine. But should I switch to all flock or something or what would you recommend? I would like to avoid a problem and count myself lucky.

Since most of can't find duck specific feed or afford it if we do, All flock is next best thing and can be fed to all poultry. I am not chickens really but living in the US I know how hard it is to find waterfowl specific feed.

When I couldn't find anything but layer I added oats to the feed to cut the calcium for my drakes gander and rooster.

Back
Top Bottom