Lethargic Duckling

Rastaducks

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2022
My ducklings are seven days old and all three have been very healthy and active but today one of them stopped eating and drinking. All she does is sleep. I fed her lettuce as a treat yesterday. Could this cause an issue? She’s the black one in the picture. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Attachments

• A835D1B5-0338-456A-9BCF-208388DC3ACB.jpeg
    A835D1B5-0338-456A-9BCF-208388DC3ACB.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 5
So sorry to hear about your duckling!! What does her crop fee like? Did she have grit offered? Whenever any food or treat other than their normal food is offered grit needs to be offered as well.

How much lettuce did you feed her?

What are you feeding (both feed brand, type and any other treats)?

Have you been giving an extra supplements or any form of niacin?

So they have access to grit on the side?

So sorry to hear about your duckling!! What does her crop fee like? Did she have grit offered? Whenever any food or treat other than their normal food is offered grit needs to be offered as well.
how do you feel her crop? I put out an offering of grit this morning. She hasn’t touched it. I made a mash with brewers yeast and some grit and tried giving it to her but she won’t take a bite nor will she drink anything.

How much lettuce did you feed her?

What are you feeding (both feed brand, type and any other treats)?

Have you been giving an extra supplements or any form of niacin?

So they have access to grit on the side?
Iceberg lettuce. The other duckling seem un phased and they had some. I put out some grit this morning and the other two are eating it. I’ll attach pictures of the feed and supplements I’ve been giving.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 1
I am sorry to hear about your duckling, was the lettuce slimy, and did you offer them grit before feeding the lettuce as this acts as teeth and otherwise they will have trouble digesting the lettuce, but otherwise, it was probably something else. you can offer him/her a small amount of bread, cottage cheese, or other things like scrambled eggs and see if he will take that.

if you have a waterfowl vet nearby you can also ask them for any advice, how is he/she today????

Iceberg lettuce. The other duckling seem un phased and they had some. I put out some grit this morning and the other two are eating it. I’ll attach pictures of the feed and supplements I’ve been giving.
Wanted to add here, Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value. It's not recommended to feed to animals because its extremely watery and can cause diarrhea.

You can feel the ducklings crop by feeling along the bottom of his throat. Do you feel anything like food or anything in there? Or does it feel empty? I know the diagram says goose but it’s not much different for the duckling. The green organ on the diagram is the crop, feel for that on your duckling.

1657629775768.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly she passed away. For the other two ducklings is it safe to keep the offering of grit next to the feeder? They help themselves to it but I’m worried they are eating to much. Is it better to mix it in their feed? After losing one I would hate to do something wrong with my remaining ducklings. 😢

Back
Top Bottom