Lethargic-eating, drinking, pooping normal

mollyjane

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2016
Oregon
My favorite chicken, Rhoda is once again not doing well. (2 y/o RIR) In May she got sick, (yellow diarrhea, letharic, was not egg bound, I thought it was egg yolk peritonitis, but she bounced back so it was probably worms?)

She recovered from her last ordeal to basically back to normal. I don't think she's laid since, but she was running around acting totally normally with the other chickens.

Then, 2 days ago, I saw her laying in the rose bushes and she seemed lethargic. I picked her up (which she did try to evade me for a while, so she was still able to jog away from me) and sat her on my lap to do a full check over.

She is very, very thin even though she's been eating. Maybe a little less in the last week but it has been so hot lately it has not been unusual. Her crop is normal. She has no external parasites. Her comb has fallen over, though, which is unusual, and may be paler than usual. She doesn't seem too puffed up.

I brought her inside in a crate. She is eating and drinking just fine. I didn't do a very good follow up on her last worming (I admit, i didn't put it in my calendar right so I screwed that up) so I wormed her with wazine (full day yesterday in her crate) and panacur. I gave her some electrolyte water, too, which she has been drinking normally. Her stools are normal, although still a dark green even though she has not been eating grass cause she's inside with me.

She is still very listless though. Laying down most of the time. Sleeping. Almost seemingly having a hard time keeping her eyes open. I have noticed that when she sleeps or just closes her eyes, sometimes she kind of pulls her head back, like she's looking straight up. Then she'll open her eyes and bring her head back normally.

She has no problems walking or balancing, nor pecking her food. And she is eating and drinking just fine (not all the interested in her normal food but eats all the mealworms I put in there and has eaten some yogurt and berries). She's just very thin (no muscle or fat, no breast to speak of) and super lethargic.

Any ideas or help very appreciated. Thank you all.

Just took these. She's standing up at the moment and interested in my taking a picture of her.

Attachments

• 20170723_132951.jpg
    20170723_132951.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170723_132944.jpg
    20170723_132944.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 3
My guess would be a tumour or tumours. She doesn't appear to have a swollen abdomen which would indicate internal laying/ascites. If her crop is functioning normally and she is eating but losing weight and body condition and you have wormed her, then I'm afraid cancer would be the next obvious cause. Hope I am wrong. All you can do is support her immune system with vitamin supplements and give her good quality treats like meal worms and maybe some slivers of raw liver or a bit of tuna or some scrambled egg.
Sorry to not be have a more optimistic prognosis. Hopefully others will suggest something that I have overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom