Lethargic gal with weird symptoms :(

I soaked her in the sink in warm water for 15 mins it looks like there's some tiny bits of eggshell in the water. Fingertip exam I feel an obstruction. It feels like an egg and I did clear away some small shards. They're a bit soft more like calcium deposits but they're shaped like eggshell bits so i think I'm dealing with an egg bound girl with a ruptured egg. I don't see anything yellow like yolk.

Is this the end? 😢

I soaked her in the sink in warm water for 15 mins it looks like there's some tiny bits of eggshell in the water. Fingertip exam I feel an obstruction. It feels like an egg and I did clear away some small shards. They're a bit soft more like calcium deposits but they're shaped like eggshell bits so i think I'm dealing with an egg bound girl with a ruptured egg. I don't see anything yellow like yolk.

Is this the end? 😢

Look up what to do with egg bound chickens - lots of great resources for this! A broken egg can lead to a much greater risk of infections which can be fatal, but there is a chance she can pull through.

Is this the end? 😢

Can you see the egg at all? With it broken she may not be able to push it out.

It's definitely an egg y'all. I was able to help her expel some of it along with some backed up poo by using a warm water enema several times with her pushing (thanks to Tums I bet). I added a little ACV to the water also. Don't know if this will actually work to save her but we'll keep at it taking rest breaks and more flushing.

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_171554050.jpg
    PXL_20201230_171554050.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 6
Poor girl!
You are doing what you can for her, hopefully she will hang in there with you and you can get it all out.

I would worry about development of infection, so if possible giving her an antibiotic would be good. I would use Amoxicillin, it can be ordered online https://www.allivet.com/p-2377-fish-mox-amoxicillin.aspx

Please keep us posted.

Poor girl!
You are doing what you can for her, hopefully she will hang in there with you and you can get it all out.

I would worry about development of infection, so if possible giving her an antibiotic would be good. I would use Amoxicillin, it can be ordered online https://www.allivet.com/p-2377-fish-mox-amoxicillin.aspx

Please keep us posted.

Weve gone as far as we can for now... She expelled quite a bit more of poo and several larger chunks of shell.. it's definitely a soft shell. I found what I believe to be the yolk in the excrement. It was black and slimy 🤢

She's resting now I will call the vet to see if they can provide antibiotics without an exam. Otherwise I don't think I can get any delivered here until early next week because of the holiday.. if I can get my hands on some antibiotics like amoxicillin how much should I give?

Last edited:
Weve gone as far as we can for now... She expelled quite a bit more of poo and several larger chunks of shell.. it's definitely a soft shell. I found what I believe to be the yolk in the excrement. It was black and slimy 🤢

She's resting now I will call the vet to see if they can provide antibiotics without an exam. Otherwise I don't think I can get any delivered here until early next week because of the holiday.. if I can get my hands on some antibiotics like amoxicillin how much should I give?
Anytime you get something yucky like that, if you can get photos...(I know that sound so strange, but it's the ER thread after all LOL)

It's good that you are able to keep working on it. I'm rooting for the both of you :fl

If your vet can get meds for you that will great. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Anytime you get something yucky like that, if you can get photos...(I know that sound so strange, but it's the ER thread after all LOL)

It's good that you are able to keep working on it. I'm rooting for the both of you :fl

If your vet can get meds for you that will great. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
well I had my hands full at the time :gigbuttttt... it's still in the sink drain hold on I'll get you a pic

I even fished it out for a better view 🤢🤢

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_200637646.jpg
    PXL_20201230_200637646.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom