Lethargic gal with weird symptoms :(

would erythromicin work? looks like Petsmart may have it in stock (API EM for fish)... I found 2 doxycyclin 100mg capsules in the back of my medicine cabinet but it's expired. nobody has any amoxicillin handy or in stores that I can find. I can't wait for shipping to deliver next week :hmm:hmm

would erythromicin work? looks like Petsmart may have it in stock (API EM for fish)... I found 2 doxycyclin 100mg capsules in the back of my medicine cabinet but it's expired. nobody has any amoxicillin handy or in stores that I can find. I can't wait for shipping to deliver next week :hmm:hmm
Amoxicillin would have to be ordered online.

I really don't know about the Erythromycin, it's not something I see recommended at all - I'm not sure for the reason. @Eggcessive or @casportpony may be able to tell you more about this particular antibiotic.

If she were mine, I would source Amoxicillin since she's young and hopefully she will not have any more problems and start producing eggs. Tylosin or a Tetracycline would be other antibiotics I would use for a bird that I plan on eating their eggs/meat.

Some would suggest using Baytril which is a very good antibiotic but it is banned for use in poultry. So you would want to do some reading up on that.

My birds are "pet livestock" so while I do consider them "pets" at times, they are also a source of eggs and occasionally meat for me so I do consider what type of medications (if any) administer.

Update: I started her on Rooster Booster the one with vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics and got the erythromycin because she can't wait until next week to get amox...it's the only antibiotic I could get right way, and it does seems to be a good one. I found a few post with dosing instructions, I think from @Eggcessive and also this http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/erythromycin according to this site it's approved by the FDA as safe for egg laying hens. just to be on the safe side if she does lay any in the next couple weeks (assuming she pulls through) I'll discard them. Definitely don't plan to consume her if she does not make it. I gave her first dose last night after flushing her out again with warm water (no more egg particles came out. Just prior to that we smelled a distinctive "rotten egg" almost ammonia like smell coming from her - it was FOUL. After a few flushes the smell was gone.

This morning she had poo in her litter for the first time (it was runny of course), seemed more alert and moving around, making some of her usual cooing noises. Her face is no longer bright red, her feathers are still fluffed but she doesn't appear to be in distress. She is eating and drinking well. No more nasty smells.

I'm going to prepare a saline solution to use for the next flush which will hopefully help prevent bacteria from growing while the meds do their job. I'll go ahead and order some fish mox to have on hand in case the EM doesn't work and just to have around for future emergencies where it may be the better choice. But she DOES seem to be improving from yesterday. Cautiously optimistic.

Update: I started her on Rooster Booster the one with vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics and got the erythromycin because she can't wait until next week to get amox...it's the only antibiotic I could get right way, and it does seems to be a good one. I found a few post with dosing instructions, I think from @Eggcessive and also this http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/erythromycin according to this site it's approved by the FDA as safe for egg laying hens. just to be on the safe side if she does lay any in the next couple weeks (assuming she pulls through) I'll discard them. Definitely don't plan to consume her if she does not make it. I gave her first dose last night after flushing her out again with warm water (no more egg particles came out. Just prior to that we smelled a distinctive "rotten egg" almost ammonia like smell coming from her - it was FOUL. After a few flushes the smell was gone.

This morning she had poo in her litter for the first time (it was runny of course), seemed more alert and moving around, making some of her usual cooing noises. Her face is no longer bright red, her feathers are still fluffed but she doesn't appear to be in distress. She is eating and drinking well. No more nasty smells.

I'm going to prepare a saline solution to use for the next flush which will hopefully help prevent bacteria from growing while the meds do their job. I'll go ahead and order some fish mox to have on hand in case the EM doesn't work and just to have around for future emergencies where it may be the better choice. But she DOES seem to be improving from yesterday. Cautiously optimistic.
Sounds like a plan! I hope she starts to improve even more. Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

Erythromycin is an older drug that treats many of the same bacteria that amoxicillin treats, in skin, respiratory, ear, and urinary infections. It doesn’t seem to be prescribed much anymore, possibly due to resistance.

Fish Mox amoxicillin is sometimes found on shelves at TSC and feed stores. It and Enrofloxacin (Baytril) seem to be the most prescribed for egg tract infections. Enrofloxacin has been banned by the FDA in chickens to help prevent developing bacterial resistance. It still gets prescribed for certain hard to treat bacteria, and it is not banned for dogs and cats. So if you don’t mind an egg withdrawal for a couple of weeks, it could be used. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid dosage for chickens is 0.05 ml (0.25 ml for a five pound chicken) given orally twice daily for 5 days. Do not give it in the water since it tastes bad, and they may not drink it. You can get that here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/

Erythromycin is an older drug that treats many of the same bacteria that amoxicillin treats, in skin, respiratory, ear, and urinary infections. It doesn’t seem to be prescribed much anymore, possibly due to resistance.

Fish Mox amoxicillin is sometimes found on shelves at TSC and feed stores. It and Enrofloxacin (Baytril) seem to be the most prescribed for egg tract infections. Enrofloxacin has been banned by the FDA in chickens to help prevent developing bacterial resistance. It still gets prescribed for certain hard to treat bacteria, and it is not banned for dogs and cats. So if you don’t mind an egg withdrawal for a couple of weeks, it could be used. Enrofloxacin 10% liquid dosage for chickens is 0.05 ml (0.25 ml for a five pound chicken) given orally twice daily for 5 days. Do not give it in the water since it tastes bad, and they may not drink it. You can get that here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/

Thanks for the info! Which one do you think would be better for this or are they both about the same in terms of effectiveness?

Baytril will get more bacteria that can cause E.coli infection, but amoxicillin will work pretty well. It just depends on using a banned antibiotic and if that bothers you. I keep both Fish Mox and Enrofloxacin (Baytril) on hand, but have never used either. For respiratory diseases that can happen, I also keep Tylosin (Tylan) powder, just in case. If you have a vet who will see chickens that is always best, but sometimes not available or affordable for many.

Just a quick update @Wyorp Rock I am happy to report that my girl is continuing to improve! She's had 2 doses of the EM so far and I'm thoroughly rinsing out/flushing her poop/egg chute with the warm water & saline solution twice per day. Each time I flush her out the smell is less and less "sick" smelling...though it does look like there may be some tiny bits of eggshell coming out still (I didn't get a pic this time, I'll try to get one next time if I see it again). I'm keeping her quarantined in a crate in my room where it's quiet, she seems content in there. This morning she seemed a bit gassy (true story she woke me up with a giant fart lol). She has pooped a couple times today so far - it looks pretty normal to me in color and consistency..it was greenish yesterday morning. She's moving around more and has more energy, more "talkative".. starting to act more like her normal self. So far it looks promising...:fl

Update!! I kept this girl inside in a crate to continue healing, restricted light because I just couldn't bring myself to give up on her. And here we are 6 weeks later, she has grown and gained weight (was very small and underweight when this started). I checked her bum about a week ago and her pelvic bones had opened up to just over 2 fingers wide (was less than 1 finger when this started). I started to increase her light exposure a few hours more each day. Yesterday she was very "talkative"...today I checked on her and lo and behold WE HAVE AN EGG!!!! 🥳🥳😍😍:celebratenow to butcher the other bully roo and begin her reintroduction to the flock xD @Wyorp Rock
PXL_20210215_220526747.jpg

Update!! I kept this girl inside in a crate to continue healing, restricted light because I just couldn't bring myself to give up on her. And here we are 6 weeks later, she has grown and gained weight (was very small and underweight when this started). I checked her bum about a week ago and her pelvic bones had opened up to just over 2 fingers wide (was less than 1 finger when this started). I started to increase her light exposure a few hours more each day. Yesterday she was very "talkative"...today I checked on her and lo and behold WE HAVE AN EGG!!!! 🥳🥳😍😍:celebratenow to butcher the other bully roo and begin her reintroduction to the flock xD @Wyorp Rock
View attachment 2531371
Lovely Egg!
I'm so glad to hear she's doing much better!
Thank you for the update. I hope she continues to do well and integration goes smoothly:)

Back
Top Bottom