Lethargic hen, excessive drinking but not eating

Illiese

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Texas
We noticed our frizzle girl not acting like herself this morning. She’s acting lethargic and just wanting to sleep. She’s also drinking a lot of water but won’t touch food. (She did eat a little of her crumble this morning) Her poop is watery and white. It almost looks a little snotty? I've looked and looked at different posts but can’t really put my finger on a correct diagnosis.
When I let them out this morning I noticed she had some runny poop stuck to her butt but just wiped it off thinking nothing of it. Went outside about 3 hours later and noticed she was uninterested in mealworms. Once again her butt was covered in white runny poop. We brought her in and cleaned up her butt. All she’s wanted to do is sleep. Doesn’t move unless she has to but will raise a fuss and flap around if you pick her up wrong. She is keeping her eyes open and looking around more after having some electrolytes. What else can I do?

Edit: She does seem to be breathing a little heavier than usual

Last edited:
We noticed our frizzle girl not acting like herself this morning. She’s acting lethargic and just wanting to sleep. She’s also drinking a lot of water but won’t touch food. (She did eat a little of her crumble this morning) Her poop is watery and white. It almost looks a little snotty? I've looked and looked at different posts but can’t really put my finger on a correct diagnosis.
When I let them out this morning I noticed she had some runny poop stuck to her butt but just wiped it off thinking nothing of it. Went outside about 3 hours later and noticed she was uninterested in mealworms. Once again her butt was covered in white runny poop. We brought her in and cleaned up her butt. All she’s wanted to do is sleep. Doesn’t move unless she has to but will raise a fuss and flap around if you pick her up wrong. She is keeping her eyes open and looking around more after having some electrolytes. What else can I do?

Edit: She does seem to be breathing a little heavier than usual

Most of the time I deworm first thing in order to eliminate that possibility. The symptoms you mention could be from worms.

What is her age?

I'm sorry she's not feeling well. When was the last time she laid an egg? How old is she? Have you checked her crop to make sure it's functioning correctly? If not, withhold food and water overnight and make sure her crop is flat /empty in the morning.

Most of the time I deworm first thing in order to eliminate that possibility. The symptoms you mention could be from worms.

What is her age?
She’s about two years old.
I was afraid that worming her could make it worse but do you think it’ll be okay?
I did start her on corid just in case. Will that mess with the wormer at all?
I'm sorry she's not feeling well. When was the last time she laid an egg? How old is she? Have you checked her crop to make sure it's functioning correctly? If not, withhold food and water overnight and make sure her crop is flat /empty in the morning.
She’s a two year bantam frizzle. We have quite a few chickens so I haven’t really been paying attention to who’s laying but I knows she’s laid at least two this week. But she’s always been a slow layer (once every two-ish days). Her abdomen feels normal compared to the other hens.
Last night she drank until her crop was full but I checked her crop this morning and it seemed to have slightly emptied since last night but not all the way. She did have some normal-ish poop this morning compared to yesterday but it has a little bit of red mixed in with the brown and white. It does look like blood but I’m not sure.

Edit: Pics of the poo

Attachments

• 2ACFBDB7-2534-4086-A157-055A5E6D0465.jpeg
    2ACFBDB7-2534-4086-A157-055A5E6D0465.jpeg
    776.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3C8C9CFE-0B3B-48F1-BF35-1BD00DB17BB9.jpeg
    3C8C9CFE-0B3B-48F1-BF35-1BD00DB17BB9.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Last night she drank until her crop was full but I checked her crop this morning and it seemed to have slightly emptied since last night but not all the way.

She did have some normal-ish poop this morning compared to yesterday but it has a little bit of red mixed in with the brown and white. It does look like blood but I’m not sure.
I agree, it does look like blood in the poop. If you can have your vet perform a fecal float that would be good. Otherwise, I would consider de-worming and treating for Coccidiosis.
Safeguard dewormer dose is 0.23 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Corid for Coccidiosis dose is 2 teaspoons liquid Corid per gallon of water or 1 1/2 teaspoon powdered Corid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Crop is not emptying. I would address that too = https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I agree, it does look like blood in the poop. If you can have your vet perform a fecal float that would be good. Otherwise, I would consider de-worming and treating for Coccidiosis.
Safeguard dewormer dose is 0.23 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Corid for Coccidiosis dose is 2 teaspoons liquid Corid per gallon of water or 1 1/2 teaspoon powdered Corid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Crop is not emptying. I would address that too = https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I started her on Corid last night and just gave her a dose of Safeguard. We’ll contact the vet tomorrow about getting a fecal float.
About the crop issue, it feels soft and squishy and not hard so I don’t think it’s impacted. If it was sour crop, could we just be catching it early since there’s not a bad smell?

I started her on Corid last night and just gave her a dose of Safeguard. We’ll contact the vet tomorrow about getting a fecal float.
About the crop issue, it feels soft and squishy and not hard so I don’t think it’s impacted. If it was sour crop, could we just be catching it early since there’s not a bad smell?
Yes, you could be catching it early. Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Crop not emptying is usually a symptom of an underlying condition - something slowing the process. Coccidiosis, worms, infection, etc. can slow the crop.
So you are looking to treat symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom