Lethargic hen IM STUMPED!

Racheldraper

Hatching
May 26, 2020
I have a year old hen that started have very messy loose poop about 10 days ago. She's been losing weight ever since but eats and drinks normally (maybe more). I treated the flock for lice/mites and treated the coop first. She didn't have any lice or mice when I dusted her, but others did. No major infestation though.
5 days ago I wormed the flock because she still was looking terrible.
she's got a droopy tail/head, appears to cat nap all day, won't get up on roost at night, curls up a foot while she's standing, pale comb/wattles... she's still been eating and drinking fine. She occasionally has a weird cough.
what to do??!! No one else is showing any symptoms.
thanks for reading all this and helping myself and Blue!

How old is your sick hen? Does she still lay eggs? Does she curl the foot under when she walks or have trouble walking? How often is she coughing? Are there other respiratory symptoms? Sometimes it is hard to diagnose a problem without labe work or a vet. Reproductive issues are common in hens, and frequently a cause of death. Crop problems, when the crop is not working or emptying overnight can be common as well. The curling under of the foot is worrisome. Mareks disease may cause that and lameness. Hopefully, you can try to find out what is wrong.

How old is your sick hen? Does she still lay eggs? Does she curl the foot under when she walks or have trouble walking? How often is she coughing? Are there other respiratory symptoms? Sometimes it is hard to diagnose a problem without labe work or a vet. Reproductive issues are common in hens, and frequently a cause of death. Crop problems, when the crop is not working or emptying overnight can be common as well. The curling under of the foot is worrisome. Mareks disease may cause that and lameness. Hopefully, you can try to find out what is wrong.
She walks fine just slowly- she only curls the foot when she's standing/napping. It's been over 85 degrees and high humidity the last few days so I'm sure that's not making her any better.
she's probably 10/11 months old. Hasn't been laying for about a week.
how fast can mareks happen? I thought/hoped if it was that, it would have caused more paralysis by now.

Back
Top Bottom