Lethargic hen laid shell less egg, ⚠️poop pics

Kame

Chirping
May 7, 2022
California
My hen that currently has an eye infection laid an shell less egg this morning. Ever since, she has been very lethargic. I gave her some oyster shells just in case it was a calcium thing, but she didn't really eat them. I took her out to play but she only pecked for a bit then laid down. I noticed she had been drinking lots of water, but is not eating properly. Yes it is currently hot here, but her sister isn't drinking as much as her. Her legs are very hot and strangely smooth and yellow. I checked her vent and it seemed normal. She is a bit lighter, but it's around her normal weight. She is constantly grooming herself. I tried looking for mites, but I only found some scabs. I'll try to look again just incase. She is an older hen, tho I am not sure of her exact age, but I think she is maybe 5 years old and is an ISA brown hen. She has had 2 previous owners before me, so maybe she could be older? While I was checking her today she resisted first, but then gave up and started to closed her eyes. Her poop was normal yesterday, but now it's green and paste like. Could this be a ovarian problem? I don't think it is a respiratory problem because she has no mucus in her nose or mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_190011832.jpg
    IMG_20230522_190011832.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230522_185953803.jpg
    IMG_20230522_185953803.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230522_191621766.jpg
    IMG_20230522_191621766.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 25
In your other thread there's bubbles in her eye. This could be an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma. Have you added any new birds lately or is she new to you?

Flush the eye with saline, remove any debris/bubbles/pus, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

Get extra calcium into her daily for a week. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Check her over for lice/mites, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. See that her crop is emptying overnight. If the crop is not emptying, then address that symptom using this article.

Work on hydration first, then offer food.

In your other thread there's bubbles in her eye. This could be an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma. Have you added any new birds lately or is she new to you?

Flush the eye with saline, remove any debris/bubbles/pus, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

Get extra calcium into her daily for a week. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Check her over for lice/mites, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. See that her crop is emptying overnight. If the crop is not emptying, then address that symptom using this article.

Work on hydration first, then offer food.
No, I have had her for 2 years now. No new chickens. Her crop is squishy, so I'm assuming it's empty. I can't really tell if her abdomen is bloated or not. I was going to check my other hen to compare but my phone died. I checked again for mites and I couldn't find any. I found dirt. I took pictures near her tail. I'm still waiting for my terramycin to come, how much am I supposed to give her? Also I have capsules of amoxicillin for humans, can i give that to her?

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_210721267.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210721267.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230522_210951744.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210951744.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 25
Her crop is squishy, so I'm assuming it's empty.
I'd check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. It should feel flat or empty.

For the Terramycin eye ointment, after you have cleaned her eye, just put dot of ointment into the eye. Do this twice a day if possible.

I'd check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. It should feel flat or empty.

For the Terramycin eye ointment, after you have cleaned her eye, just put dot of ointment into the eye. Do this twice a day if possible.
I checked her crop in the morning and it was empty. My order for terramycin keeps getting pushed back, other than cleaning her eye with saline, can I do anything else? Her eye hasn't gotten worse, but I'm worried it will. I've been also giving her electrolytes, and she seems a bit less lethargic and is eating again. Will I need to get antibiotics for her? I've been trying to find a vet, but there isn't any available. I'll keep trying to look for one tho. Also, thank you so much for the help! 😭🙏🙏🙏

You can use Original Neosporin in the eye if you are having a tough time getting the Terramycin. I tell ya, getting things delivered on time can be a challenge nowadays.

Crop emptying is a good thing!

I'd keep working on seeing that she's eating/drinking. If she's reluctant to eat her normal food, try offering it wet. Bits of egg, fish or meat can be enticing. I've found that sometimes when they off their feed, they like a bit of tomato, cucumber or melon. Anything that is a bit different than they normally have seems interesting. Just use your judgement and limit quantities.

My Roja's appetite is back to normal! When I take her out to play, she is digging and pecking almost like normal. Friday, my other hen escaped the coop and accompanied Roja-- I noticed she was more energetic with her sister. They are separated now. I got the terramycin Thursday but I haven't been able to put it on, because I cant take out whats stuck in her eye. i think it might be pus. I try to flush it out with saline, but it is really stuck in there. Her outside eyelids are really swollen, and her eye is sunken in. Her membrane eye lid can't seem to properly close and it seems to be jumbled up on the top. She is also scratching her eye a lot. Can I give her terramycin without cleaning her eye fully?

Last edited:
When you have time, get some updated photos of her eye.

Yes, I'd flush the best you can, then apply the Terramycin in the eye. If there's pus in the eye it does need to come out, but the flushing and ointment can help with inflammation and infection in the meantime.

When you have time, get some updated photos of her eye.

Yes, I'd flush the best you can, then apply the Terramycin in the eye. If there's pus in the eye it does need to come out, but the flushing and ointment can help with inflammation and infection in the meantime.
I took some pictures of her eye yesterday, but the quality is really bad. She kept moving and my phone camera isn't that good. I would take pictures now, but she cut the inside part of her bottom eye lid, and now i can't open her eye for long. That yellow thing is a bit of her bottom eyelid.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_233721340.jpg
    IMG_20230527_233721340.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230527_233639106.jpg
    IMG_20230527_233639106.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230527_233733556.jpg
    IMG_20230527_233733556.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom