lethargic hen please help

corgiscatsandchickens

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Gallifrey
Before I posted this, I did a search on lethargic hen, but nothing I read matched up with the problem, so now it's time to als the experts--you guys!

Lizzie is one of our flock of seven 30 week old Barred Rocks. Yesterday she was fine, this afternoon she's very lethargic. I don't know if she's been like this all day or not since we've been gone most of the day. I took some yogurt out to them and she wasn't interested in it. Just ate a nibble and walked away and stood by herself looking like she was falling asleep. I tried cranberries, and she ate one, but acted like it was too much trouble to eat more.

Her crop is empty, but I palpated her and she doesn't appear to be egg bound. She doesn't feel overly hot or cold to the touch, her vent area is clean, no signs of abnormal poops in the house or run. We use deep litter method, but there is no buildup of ammonia fumes or anything that would contribute to a problem. No mites, and they've all had lots of pumpkin the last few days. No signs of worms in poo. No wheezing, no sinus issues. In short, she seems normal except for the lethargy.

It's been warm but windy here today. The only unusual thing is someone, I don't k.ow who, didn't lay an egg today, and someone laid a really huge egg that I think is a double yolker. She was our first to lay, and has always laid like clockwork since. Could she just be worn out from the enormous egg if she is the one who laid it, or should I be concerned?

Really appreciate all the help you can give.

Poor Lizzie. You probably should separate her from the others so that you can observe any more developing symptoms and just in case she has some thing contagious.

Try taking a look at this link to see if any other symptoms seem to match up: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

One
of my roosters all of a sudden seemed lethargic on day and then when I separated him from the others I noticed he had slight running from his nose. So I decided he was most likely to have a respiratory infection like Mycoplasma gallisepticum. I treated him with Duramycin and he got better.

Diagnosis can be difficult. A vet may be helpful.

Hope Lizzie's OK! Separating her is a great idea if you can swing it so you can monitor what's she's eating, laying and pooing and won't have to worry about the other girls picking on her if she's not feeling well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom