Lethargic hen, white watery poop, not drinking and barely eating

Does anyone have a solid idea of what this is? My whole flock (was 13 hens and one rooster, down to 9 hens and my rooster isn't looking good.) I have tried everything I can think of. Deworming, treating for cocci. I don't know what to do! I lost 4 hens in just under 10 days and now my rooster is acting like he's on his way out. He is barely a year and absolutely the sweetest, most fellow. Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone have a solid idea of what this is? My whole flock (was 13 hens and one rooster, down to 9 hens and my rooster isn't looking good.) I have tried everything I can think of. Deworming, treating for cocci. I don't know what to do! I lost 4 hens in just under 10 days and now my rooster is acting like he's on his way out. He is barely a year and absolutely the sweetest, most fellow. Any help is appreciated.
i know late response, check for fungal and protozoal - here is a med for protozoal
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/4-in-one-powder.html

if you suspect fungal here is the med for it
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/AB10232.html

ventgleet, sour crop etc

Really late to this post, but I have some helpful information. Straight, non bloody poop I wouldn't treat for the C word..would be a waste I believe. Poop like this in a lot of cases is either a bacteria infection which enables intestinal worms to flourish or Egg Yoke Peritonitis. Have to monitor your flock closely as we all know chickens are one of the worlds great deceivers. Is the individual bird lethargic, being isolated, being isolated by the rest of the flock, eating, drinking and moving around normally? Fluffed up birds is one of the signs of ovary issues, i.e. egg issues internally. By the time they really show obvious symptoms that can't be missed, it typically is to late on severe cases.

My turkey hen standswith her wings out a little. Seems lethargic... Has watery poo and she either stand like that in water dish or in her hut... Any ideas?
IMG_20180624_191207960.jpg
IMG_20180624_191214210.jpg

How do you check for egg?
I just noticed one of my hens is lethargic and had watery poo. I didn’t see anything in the mouth, the crop feels soft, her backside is a bit dirty. She is an older hen, if 2-3 years is considered old. She lay nice big eggs before.
I need to learn to spot egg/ovary issues and what to do about it.

How do you check for egg?
I just noticed one of my hens is lethargic and had watery poo. I didn’t see anything in the mouth, the crop feels soft, her backside is a bit dirty. She is an older hen, if 2-3 years is considered old. She lay nice big eggs before.
I need to learn to spot egg/ovary issues and what to do about it.
Sometimes you can feel from the outside but you might have to put on a glove with some vasaline and insert one finger gently into the vent. Push your finger straight back approximately 2 inches or so. If she's egg bound you should be able to feel the egg... If you don't feel an egg then she is not egg bound ( according to what I've read on it...) . We believe our turkey hen had salpingitis and we treated her with antibiotics... Baytril 2x/ day for 5 days.

Last edited:
as110 if you go to the thread ”Sick Turkey Hen" you may find some helpful info., that is the thread that will tell you the suggestions I was given that helped me to help my hen.

She died while I came to check the answer. I will read that thread to see if anything else I could have done. It was very quick. I saw her slow yesterday. Today she was lethargic. I soaked her in epsom salt bath and put her in a crate to dry. She spilled the feed and the water, she didn’t have any while I watched. I went out 30 minutes later and she was gone.

I cut her open to see what the problem was. She had bowel obstruction with stone hard mass, internal bleeding, I assume iand two large pus masses in the oviduct. One was the size of a large mango, the second one the size of an avocado, and the remaining follicles abnormal in colour and hard like pebbles. This didn’t start yesterday but must have been brewing for months.

I don’t know if checking for egg would have helped. I felt a mass but not hard like a normal egg, but rubbery and now I know it is an infected oviduct. If I see a hen with a distended abdomen pooping water and not eating, I won’t wait and treat. She needed to be euthanized asap.

I took pictures, they are shocking. It was helpful to see what was inside so I know what it is when I see it again.

Back
Top Bottom