lethargic hen with bright green droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Niname, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Niname

Niname New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    One of my hens has been sick for a few days. Bright green poo, sitting on floor and wont stand, not eating, but may be drinking,. No mites around vent . She is still semi alert. Any ideas?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The green poo is most likely due to her not eating. If she were mine I would do a thorough exam and tube feed her.

-Kathy

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is your hen? She could possibly have coccidiosis or something else. Diarrhea (sometimes bloody, but not always) usually accompanies the symptoms you describe. It tends to be a disease of young chickens, but if she is new to your property or you had added chickens recently, they can be exposed to a new strain they are not immune to. Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine is the treatment. She might also need worming. Any other symptoms would be helpful.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The green droppings could be because she isn't eating, though several diseases, like Lymoid Leukosis, cause greenish droppings as well. How old is she? Feel her abdomen. Does it feel hard or squishy? A hard abodmen might mean that she is egg bound or is an internal layer. Egg biding and internal laying are especially common in older hens. If the abdomen is squishy, she could have Egg Yolk Peronitis, or ascites. Once again, these conditions are common in old hens.

Lymphoid Leukosis is a disease that mainly affects older birds. It causes lethargy, green droppings, sometimes an enlarged abdomen, and eventual death. There is unfortunately no treatment for it. Like Marek's Disease, Leukosis is extremely prevalent, so your birds could be infected.

I'd think about worming her. Get some Safeguard or Valbazen dewormers, and deworm her. It wouldn't hurt to worm the other birds as well.

You need to get her to eat. Otherwise, she will continue getting weaker and weaker. Try offering her some scrambled egg, or give her some raw egg yolk by eyedropper or in a spoon. You can also mix a small amount of feed with water until it becomes a soupy mixture. Put some of the mixture in a spoon, and hold it up to her beak, slightly pressing against the bottom of the beak with the spoon. This will sometimes make a bird just barely open its beak enough for it to start swallowing some of the mixture. However, it would probably be best to tube feed. Here are some links on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One of the reasons I tube feed is to rule out diseases that can cause green poop, white poop, runny poop, etc. Once properly hydrated and fed, the poop should be normal. If it isn't, then you can start seacrhing for diseases that cause the poop you're seeing. Does that make sense (I have trouble writing what I'm thinking, lol)?

-Kathy

6. Niname

Niname New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you ALL for the timely advice. When I got home about 2 hours ago I read the posts. Here are some answers to your questions: Not sure how old. I adopted her w 4 others about 2 years ago. Legs are not too white. Checked for egg binding a few days ago and didn't seem to be a problem there.

Happy to report she willingly drank quite a bit of water from a small bowl when I dipped her beak in. Tore up the raw egg yolk! Then the scrambled egg with a raw tomato on the side. Just checked and she is still eating scrambled eggs!

I just read one of the tube feed how tos (thanks Wyandottes7!). I have guineas and had to tube feed one of them. I still have the metal tube feeder with the ball on the end. It is about 4-5" long with a slight curve. I suppose that will work. I am waiting for my husband to bring home the organic ACV and will add to her water tonight.

I have Wazine for worming...will that work? I know different worms need different meds. Any more advice welcome. Thanks again for the helpful answers... I really expected her to be gone by now but she still has some pep in her!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Wazing only kills roundworms, not any other types of worms. It might be a better idea to deworm with a broad-spectrum dewormer. However, roundworms are the most common type of worm, so the Wazine should do some good.

8. Niname

Niname New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    So tell me what meds to use for general worming please...thanks

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you checked her crop for any crop issues? If not,check her for either impacted crop or sour crop. Green poop usually indicates not eating(other than eating grass clippings etc).

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best wormers currently are Valbazen (gets all chicken worms) and Safegard goat wormer (gets all but tapeworm.) 1/2 ml by mouth of either and repeat in 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by