Lethargic hen with diarrhea

Alpen Way Chickens

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2017
Our 3 year old hen Fajita who is one of our friendliest hens started acting standoffish yesterday. She also didn't go up on the roost last night, she was huddled in the corner on the floor. This morning she didn't come out of the hen house for breakfast. I took her off the roost and put her in the run and she just sat in the same position, not moving. Later in the morning I notice she was sitting in a corner by herself looking uncomfortable. Thinking maybe she's egg bound we brought her in and set her up in our spare bath and proceeded to do Epsom salt baths for 20 minutes every few hours. After the second bath she started to have diarrhea see photos attached. She is eating, I gave her feed which has oyster shells mixed with plain Greek yogurt and she is drinking water fine. She also seems perky except for not wanting to move much. No visible issues with her feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_182728.jpg
    IMG_20200327_182728.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 8
  • MVIMG_20200327_182431.jpg
    MVIMG_20200327_182431.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200327_182418.jpg
    IMG_20200327_182418.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 8
What symptoms make you think she’s egg bound? The general discomfort and lethargy? Is she walking like a penguin or pumping her tail? Any other symptoms than behavioral changes, looking uncomfortable, and diarrhea?

Did she drink any of the bath water? Epsom salts is a powerfull laxative. I would insert a finger inside her vent an inch or two, to feel for a stuck egg. If you do not feel one, then stop the baths. If you have some electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench, give her some with water. Cottage cheese, only a spoonful, can help firm up her droppings. What are you feeding her?

Has she been laying eggs lately? I would check her crop, and feel if it is full and hard, doughy, or puffy. It should normally feel empty and flat in the early morning before she eats. Also, feel of her lower belly between her legs to feel if it is enlarged or fuller than other hens.

Glad she’s walking better! I agree with all the info Eggcessive gave- a manual check of her vent should rule out a bound egg. The diarrhea could certainly be from the epsom bath.

I don't think she is egg bound so stopped the baths. Still have her separated, but her poop is getting firmer also and she is showing much more energy. She is eating and drinking fine. Here are some pics of her latest poops. Was going to keep her separated again tonight and see how she is in the morning. Do you think we safely re-integrate her with the rest of our chickens? IMG_20200328_170230.jpg IMG_20200328_160820.jpg

That looks better. Is her crop full? Can you check it in the morning? She probably will be happier with her flock, but watch to see they are not bullying or pecking at her.

Back
Top Bottom