Lethargic hen with dirty vent

Compton Chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2022
I noticed a few days ago that my Mottled Java had a dirty vent. I tried to clean it off but today she was worse. She didn’t want to move around and when she did she walked like a penguin. Her vent was also dirtier. I don’t know if she’s egg bound or has vent gleet but she is not doing well. Help!

The bath might help. By dirty, does her vent have white stuff on it or stink unusually worse than it should? Vent gleet is stinky. Monostat spread all over her vent for several days, plus some probiotics would help that.

Do you know when she last laid an egg? Bathing her would help that too but if she doesn't expel anything, you should pop one of your Calcium +D pills in her mouth by pulling down on her wattles. If she's egg bound, that'll give her contractions so she'll expel the egg.

Can you post a picture?
image.jpg
image.jpg

As I bathed I noticed she was extremely bloated. There was a ton of pressure on her. She is not resisting us at all which is somewhat alarming.

She has not layed an egg in at least a few months so I’m pretty sure she is not egg bound. There is such an immense amount of pressure on her belly that we think she has water belly or ascites.

Back
Top Bottom