Lethargic Hen with No Obvious Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEMama3, Sep 16, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    My hen is acting very lethargic. She went out to free range, but she was sleeping in the veggie garden. I brought out some FF which is a huge treat to the girls. She didn't eat any, even when I scooped some out and laid it at her feet. She's super puffed out and barely made an attempt to get away when I reached to check her out. She laid a perfect egg just a few hours before I noticed the problem. Her eyes, ears and nose look fine. Legs, feet and feathers are clean and injury/parasite free. I haven't noticed any worms in anyone's stool. Her crop doesn't feel empty, but not full either. Is there anything else I should be looking for? She's mid a light molt. Would this cause lethargy?

2. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Miraculous recovery??? Her comb is getting darker again and she's more active and eating. Should I write it off as a fluke and just keep an eye on her? Has anyone else had this happen?

3. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    She could have got scared and was in shock by something. Or she could have had a small stomach ache from something she ate.

HS Pye

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I didn't see any lice or mites. She seemed fine up until today. And now she seems like she's recovering. Very odd...

5. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    She's back to being lethargic and pale. She stayed out when everyone went in the coop tonight. I put her in the coop and put the light on so she could see to get on a roost. She chose to stay on the floor.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should bring her inside where it's warm.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Often they will show improvement right before they die. I really hope that's not the case, just thought you should know. Do a search on "the throes of death", i think you'll find it mentioned there.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by