Lethargic Hen With White on Bottom

Well I think I answered my own question, via Google images, not a swollen crop...
smile.png

I have a chicken behaving the same way. Thing is, she is 2 1/2 yrs old. I cleaned her butt off which she didn't seem to mind. Guess it bothered her. Heck, it would have bothered me having dried poo stuck to me. Anyway, she hides from all the other chickens and rooster during the day. She wants to stay in a separate pen away from the others. She may be molting but I still have never seen her or the other chickens behave like this unless they were sick. She doesn't seem to be sick. Her eye sight seems a bit off. I noticed when she eats she misses once in a while.

While sitting in the "singles" pen she came out of there like a shot and ended up against the fence with her wings spread out and on the ground. She didn't move. I picked her up and placed her on the ground and her legs just folded up under her. In the house she came. She ate some cottage cheese and fell asleep on my lap. Don't know what's up with her. Do you think both birds have something similar??

I don't know. They were pretty quiet yesterday, didn't leave the tracotr much (door open), but they pooped the day/night before and ate okay. They did all eat some today, drank water. Pru seems the worst though. They are my first 3 hens and I hope I don't lose any...

The other 2 seem better, eating more (still no poop) but Pru seems worse. Could this be from algae in the water? I scrub their waterers several times a week...

No, but good news- Pru seems a bit better today, got her to drink some water, eat yogurt. Later she also ate a good amount of food, wet bread, etc. She also cleaning herself too, a good sign! She doesn't seem so out of it. The other 2 are doing really well. I'm guardedly optimistic! My best guess is, and I scoured the yard, they were'nt drinking enough water (lots out) and ate something really dry and wound up constitpated. I'm going to keep them in the tractor for a few more days and see how they conitinue to do. I might start limiting their free ranging time to make sure they don't eat too much dried grasses, weeds, etc....

Last edited:
Well they all seem to have recovered, poop in the roost! They all came into the tractor fine this morning, eating, and Pru's finally walking fine, what a relief!!!

Back
Top Bottom