Lethargic hen, won't eat, just laying around -update- Red is gone

zavierchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Lakewood, CO
Why does it have to be my daughter's favorite, too?
sad.png
Red is a bantam Belgian D'anvers (we think) and about 4 months old. She is super lethargic (has been letting my daughter hold her for the last 30 minutes without even the slightest effort to move) and won't eat. As far as I can tell her crop is fine, no evidence of an egg stuck, she feels thin to me, but Sara thinks that is how she has always felt. We have had some really wild weather lately (crazy hail storm two weeks ago, lots more rain than is usual here, it was down to 60 two days ago and back up to 90 today) but all our other birds are acting normal so I don't think it is a heat thing. White poo, based on the chart it seems normal so far...Let's see, what else can I tell you - the girls free range some during the day, coop is an open style (wired three sides, walled on one) They are eating layer feed, we just added oyster shells a week ago, bedding is wood shavings, we did go to a larger waterer a week ago, too, so the water is lasting longer (but maybe it is lasting too long?)

Suggestions? And thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Did u notice a fishy smell to the oyster shells? Could be food contamination. I would give my 4 Month-old chicken a 1/4 cc injection of Tylan 50, then the same in 2 days.

No fishy odor on the oyster shells - she did just poo a really runny, almost cottage cheesey textured white and yellow poo...won't touch water or food, even treats. We have her separate from everyone now, in the shade - but she is not looking good
sad.png

I don't know what is wrong. Lots of rain? Maybe cocci? Have you checked for mites and lice? Wet weather makes me think of molds and botulism as possibilities, too. In or weather, feed can get moldy even if stored carefully -- sometimes before we buy it. A bit of mold in a pile of leaves somewhere or even the litter can get them in trouble, too.

I'd try boosting her nutrition with a tsp of yogurt or other probiotic, mashed egg yolk, etc., just to try to give her some better weapons to deal with her problem.

And I'd change the water daily, and use organic ACV, to help keep it free of algae and to give them a bit of probiotic.

Oooo, mold makes a lot of sense, we have had so much more rain, and the hail knocked every apple and cherry out of our trees, I caught the girls eating on those yesterday. Is there anything I can be doing for her? Can I feed her by hand if she won't touch it on her own?

She is gone now, Sara is heartbroken, my poor girl. It was so quick, she was her normal self yesterday!! Our other birds seem to be just fine, so far. So here's a question - does handling your chickens make them sick? My inlaws were down here visiting today, so around for all the drama, and my mother in law thinks it is because Sara and Alex liked her the most and carried her around the yard and played with her more. Is this a possibility or is she just speaking from a farm girl's perspective that chickens were for production only and not pets to them? I would hate to be allowing the kids to play with our girls if that is what may have contributed to her demise, but I also don't want to tell them no touching if that isn't it because they love hanging out with the banties so much.

I don't honestly think that holding the chicken could have made her sick. However, I really would like the BYC people to continue this thread because I am now currently having the exact same problem with one of my 14 week old Buff Orpingtons. Anyone have anymore suggestions? Please....she is a wonderful bird and I don't want to loose her.

Back
Top Bottom