Lethargic hen- wormed them, anything else I should do?

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
) What type of bird , age and weight.
Production red, not sure was an adult when I got her, probably 1-2 years. about 5 lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She seems really lethargic. Eyes shut, just sitting around a lot. Has been laying thin shelled eggs for awhile. She sneezes every now and then, but no discharge
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
The tiredness- just today. The eggs and sneezing- about a month
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
nothing
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She was up with everyone else eating when I fed them this morning
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Will have to check tomorrow, sorry
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I just went to the coop and locked them all in, put wazine in their water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would like to treat her myself, will euthanize if I can't
sad.png

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Their coop has pine shavings. Their run has straw, grass clippings, shavings. It's mostly mud now, been raining lots so am trying to put whatever I can to dry it up. They have a 2 acre yard they free range in during the day.
Her crop seems normal, I'll check it out better tomorrow. Didin't notice her acting funny til right before they went to bed so didn't get to check her out too thoroughly. She is on the roost sleeping with her buddies. Her comb is still red, not pale or anything. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

If the worming doesn't help, probably the next most likely thing is an egg laying problem such as internal laying or egg bound. You should probably figure out whether she is still laying if you're not sure. There are some threads on the FAQ page about egg bound. It can be difficult for them to pass a really thin shelled egg. I imagine she needs at least one warm bath, like in a sink or dishpan, then isolation in a somewhat darkened and quiet place. I've never been through this and hope the FAQ threads will help. Good luck.

Thank you. I also went out last night and dusted all of them with sevin dust just in case they had mites or something. She seems ok this morning, came out with everyone else. I'm going to keep an eye on her, and clean out a dog kennel to put her inside a few nights. My daughter will love giving her a bath I'm sure. Her butt does look a lil red, and like she's maybe had diarrhea? It's not too bad though.
fl.gif
Hoping she's not eggbound.

Back
Top Bottom