Lethargic hen?

Carrie Michele

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Hello everybody! I have worked with all sorts of poultry for over 20 years but never had a hen like this.

Pic attached
This is my RIR Louise.
I got her last year with 4 others. I do not know their ages because a close friend gave us these girls.

Anyway, two days ago I noticed she was not her chipper self. She is normally outgoing always wanting to come in the backdoor when my kids open it. Recently she has been very lethargic. I first noticed her laying in the nesting box for a couple hours. Then when I went to lock them in for the night, she remained in that spot alone. I had to move her and she did not fight me. Next day she would just stand there. Alert, but not wanting to be with the others, and now no interest in food. She is drinking water a lot when ahe can.
I brought her inside yeaterday assuming maybe she is egg bound. A warm bath in my sink in which she sunk herself in it to relax. My husband gently went into her vent about an inch and said he may have felt an egg. I put castor oil and olive oil into her vent in hope ot would maybe release and nothing. Today she is the same. She is aware of me, but still wants to be alone. Any ideas what may be wrong?

No losses of any flock members
No change in diet
Electrolytes in water because the temps are going up

Oh, it could be anything... Egg binding is actually not that common, and the bath should have helped that. It could be cocci - any warm, moist conditions lately? New birds? Visiting a place with chickens somewhere? Dirty waterers?
She could be overwhelmed with worms. Does she look pale in the face, wattles and comb? Check for mites, too, lice, fleas or ticks.
Those are the more easily treated problems.
She might have egg peritonitis - have you found eggy droppings on the poop board at any time before?
But it could also be something else entirely...
I recommend - for the future - to get the Chicken Health Handbook.
For now, I would check on all those things and treat accordingly. Pure elemental sulfur for bugs, Corid for cocci, safeguard, Panacur or valbazen for worms. Don't treat for cocci and worms at the same time. If cocci seems likely I would start giving Corid and take stool sample to the vet to check for worms at the same time.
Keep her warm and comfortable, give her her favorite foods if she doesn't eat well. I would separate her, because her flock members will likely turn on her when they feel she is sick.
Don't give an electrolyte vitamin mix in the water for more than a day or two at a time - they can get too much if some vitamins, especially if they drink a lot because it's hot.
Good luck!

Oh, it could be anything... Egg binding is actually not that common, and the bath should have helped that. It could be cocci - any warm, moist conditions lately? New birds? Visiting a place with chickens somewhere? Dirty waterers?
She could be overwhelmed with worms. Does she look pale in the face, wattles and comb? Check for mites, too, lice, fleas or ticks.
Those are the more easily treated problems.
She might have egg peritonitis - have you found eggy droppings on the poop board at any time before?
But it could also be something else entirely...
I recommend - for the future - to get the Chicken Health Handbook.
For now, I would check on all those things and treat accordingly. Pure elemental sulfur for bugs, Corid for cocci, safeguard, Panacur or valbazen for worms. Don't treat for cocci and worms at the same time. If cocci seems likely I would start giving Corid and take stool sample to the vet to check for worms at the same time.
Keep her warm and comfortable, give her her favorite foods if she doesn't eat well. I would separate her, because her flock members will likely turn on her when they feel she is sick.
Don't give an electrolyte vitamin mix in the water for more than a day or two at a time - they can get too much if some vitamins, especially if they drink a lot because it's hot.
Good luck!
Hey thanks!
She is actually sitting now instead of standing in the nest. I gave her a hit of calcium in today and within minutes she is in there. I gave her some watermelon early this morning and she ate a bit. I also put some apple cider vinegar in her water which I forgpt to do past few days. She looks more motivated now sitting in the box. Will keep an eye on her throughout today.

Back
Top Bottom