Lethargic hen

Jamie G75

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
My pullet who is laying eggs has been having weird poops. They are runny, yellow slimy and white with alot of fluid and emerald green small amount of green. She is now lethargic. She has a full crop like air almost with bits of squish to it and hard things I can feel when I massage it. She won't eat or drink. I did get some corid water because she looks terrible and though hey it wouldn't hurt. She doesn't seem to have sour crop as I checked for a smell and. Nothing. No smell. She is closing her eyes and hasn't moved. I did spoon in some corid with a spoon in her mouth this morning and she drank that what else should I do. She's like all puffed up and closing her eyes. My niece got some from the same farm but they died at five months from the same symptoms and it ended up being ALV. She was fine one second then not the next. She won'tove and hardly acknowledges anything around her. Very sleepy. What can I do. She has no interest in food. I don't know if I should feed her. I massaged her crop last night as well. I just think it is something bad since I've been noticing the poops for a while now. A good two three weeks.

She may have a reproductive infection, but if the niece’s chicken had leukosis, it may be something like that. Her not eating is worrisome. Short of tube feeding her, I’m not sure there is much else that what you are doing. Her crop should feel empty in the morning, and if it is still puffy and full, I would just feed some egg, fluids, and very watery feed. If you do lose her, I would try to get a necropsy by your state vet. Here is a list of state vets to contact, but it is a holiday weekend, so may have to try Monday:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

My pullet who is laying eggs has been having weird poops. They are runny, yellow slimy and white with alot of fluid and emerald green small amount of green. She is now lethargic. She has a full crop like air almost with bits of squish to it and hard things I can feel when I massage it. She won't eat or drink. I did get some corid water because she looks terrible and though hey it wouldn't hurt. She doesn't seem to have sour crop as I checked for a smell and. Nothing. No smell. She is closing her eyes and hasn't moved. I did spoon in some corid with a spoon in her mouth this morning and she drank that what else should I do. She's like all puffed up and closing her eyes. My niece got some from the same farm but they died at five months from the same symptoms and it ended up being ALV. She was fine one second then not the next. She won'tove and hardly acknowledges anything around her. Very sleepy. What can I do. She has no interest in food. I don't know if I should feed her. I massaged her crop last night as well. I just think it is something bad since I've been noticing the poops for a while now. A good two three weeks.
Did you find out was this was? Experiencing this now.

Did you find out was this was? Experiencing this now.
No, I lost her. She died that night. I lost one more, the very next morning no symptoms in a different flock, she died by the coop door right before I let them out. Then the other flock I another one got sick and she died all in five days. The one flock I lost two out of only had three chickens. So I was down to one. I had brought her and the one that got sick into the house in seperate cages. She actually got better, started eating showed more improvement and instated with her and she ate and drank after being too sick. Started moving and died after I left her about an hour later I went down and dead. I was so confused. I was still treating with corid, no one else got sick and I only had one more day to go for treatment. Only thing I had done differently, was one, I gave them pumpkin but both flocks ate it. Two, I got a bad of pellets from the store. Only one chicken from my large flock would eat pellets, I gave her some, and the three from the other flock ate pellets. I noticed one wasn't eating the pellets and only crumble and I thought that was weird. The color of the pellet was off, a little darker green than usual but tgeyr other feed got darker so I thought nothing more and figured it was like the other feed. For days they ate that. And my white pullet wouldn't touch it. It may not be related at all but I find it weird that the ones that died were the ones that ate pellets. My other hens do not like them. But feed for feathers only come in a pellet so I had to buy that. I don't know what I had or have but no more deaths since November. I finished corid, and took that food away. And I pray nothing else happens and it's not a disease. My niece thought since no more had died in her flock that the Avian leukosis virus wasn't in her flock anymore but one just died a couple days ago. No symptoms. She was going into the coop, for the night but fell over dead. She was still warm when my niece found her to lock them up. Now she is scared to death they are all going to die again. I hope u figure out what's going on. I said if I lose anymore I'm having a necropsy done. So I know if I have the virus or any virus or disease. It seems to be very bad this year. Very very strange if you ask me with so many infected chickens dying all of a sudden. It's crazy to me.

No, I lost her. She died that night. I lost one more, the very next morning no symptoms in a different flock, she died by the coop door right before I let them out. Then the other flock I another one got sick and she died all in five days. The one flock I lost two out of only had three chickens. So I was down to one. I had brought her and the one that got sick into the house in seperate cages. She actually got better, started eating showed more improvement and instated with her and she ate and drank after being too sick. Started moving and died after I left her about an hour later I went down and dead. I was so confused. I was still treating with corid, no one else got sick and I only had one more day to go for treatment. Only thing I had done differently, was one, I gave them pumpkin but both flocks ate it. Two, I got a bad of pellets from the store. Only one chicken from my large flock would eat pellets, I gave her some, and the three from the other flock ate pellets. I noticed one wasn't eating the pellets and only crumble and I thought that was weird. The color of the pellet was off, a little darker green than usual but tgeyr other feed got darker so I thought nothing more and figured it was like the other feed. For days they ate that. And my white pullet wouldn't touch it. It may not be related at all but I find it weird that the ones that died were the ones that ate pellets. My other hens do not like them. But feed for feathers only come in a pellet so I had to buy that. I don't know what I had or have but no more deaths since November. I finished corid, and took that food away. And I pray nothing else happens and it's not a disease. My niece thought since no more had died in her flock that the Avian leukosis virus wasn't in her flock anymore but one just died a couple days ago. No symptoms. She was going into the coop, for the night but fell over dead. She was still warm when my niece found her to lock them up. Now she is scared to death they are all going to die again. I hope u figure out what's going on. I said if I lose anymore I'm having a necropsy done. So I know if I have the virus or any virus or disease. It seems to be very bad this year. Very very strange if you ask me with so many infected chickens dying all of a sudden. It's crazy to me.
Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve lost two in the last week with same poop/lethargic and then 12-18 hours later they’re dead. I have about 50+ chickens so I’m definitely worried. Telling myself if I lose another I’ll get a necropsy done. I read with that poop color it could be Mareks, Newcastle or Avian flu 😔

Mine never had any respiratory issues. I fear Avian leukosis virus, because my niece bought pullets older than mine hatched out from a different farm this lady gets for her incubator, and hatches and those three she got all died at laying age and then her rooster died and more pullets. All around laying age, and she had one necropsied and the vet says it looked to her to be ALV. Born with it and passed from mother by the looks of the size of tumors and placement. I got two pullets from the sane farm and the lady who hatched them wasn't sure where those egg for sure came from. So I've been a nervous wreck thinking mine could have it. But my little one is almost 11 months old so I'm not sure mine have it or were infected. I've watched closely and she's still separate from the flock but before I even knew after their three week quarantine they were around all of my other chickens. And that virus won't wipe out a cluster at once. And then no more. Mine was more like poisoning. I will say this year lots of sick chicks were hatched. Where do you buy you feed?

Back
Top Bottom