Lethargic Hen

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
She's the sole survivor of a recent predator attack (most likely raccoon), that killed the rest of our 5 member flock. The first couple of days after she seemed fine, and I even let her out to forage which she did. In the days since however she has become lethargic and lost appetite, occasionally sipping water. Now she's sleeping during the day, laying in one single spot, and is letting me pick her up off the ground. Her butt is covered in droppings. I fear she may leave us soon. Thoughts, suggestions, and advice welcomed.

- Thank you.

I would make her up some electrolite water to drink. If she doesn't drink it you can dip her beak in it to make her drink. Start offering her scrambled eggs and plain yogurt to eat. Was she injured during the attack? Try wetting her food. That may entice her to eat.

It sounds like she may have been injured and is just now showing symptoms, or is very depressed. Are you spending extra time with her? Letting her forage is good, but hopefully the raccoon won’t be around. Is her crop emptying by early morning? Can you offer some scrambled egg, tuna or ground meat to stimulate her interest. Offer fluids often, and vitamins and electrolytes, and probiotics would be good. Get her vent area cleaned up.

I would make her up some electrolite water to drink. If she doesn't drink it you can dip her beak in it to make her drink. Start offering her scrambled eggs and plain yogurt to eat. Was she injured during the attack? Try wetting her food. That may entice her to eat.

It sounds like she may have been injured and is just now showing symptoms, or is very depressed. Are you spending extra time with her? Letting her forage is good, but hopefully the raccoon won’t be around. Is her crop emptying by early morning? Can you offer some scrambled egg, tuna or ground meat to stimulate her interest. Offer fluids often, and vitamins and electrolytes, and probiotics would be good. Get her vent area cleaned up.
Thank you both for the tips. I have good news, she is better today than yesterday. She wasn't moving and just nodding off during the day yesterday but is more active now. I added apple cider vinegar to her water bowl (I should've but forgot to before), as she is drinking quite a lot. Not a feather of hers was lost during the attack, and I don't even know how she survived. She either is so agile that she evaded the raccoon and it gave up or she hid up on the loft (she's very smart). I felt her crop it seemed fine. I gave her bread and onion, she nibbled on both. I think she likes soft food right now. I may give her eggs later as well.

Thank you both for the tips. I have good news, she is better today than yesterday. She wasn't moving and just nodding off during the day yesterday but is more active now. I added apple cider vinegar to her water bowl (I should've but forgot to before), as she is drinking quite a lot. Not a feather of hers was lost during the attack, and I don't even know how she survived. She either is so agile that she evaded the raccoon and it gave up or she hid up on the loft (she's very smart). I felt her crop it seemed fine. I gave her bread and onion, she nibbled on both. I think she likes soft food right now. I may give her eggs later as well.
That's great! I would alternate the acv. One bowl of water with, the next without.

Update : She passed 😥 . Initially it seemed she might recover but she got less active again and I found her deceased this morning (probably passed during the night). I think the stress of the attack was too much for her, as she was completely healthy prior.

Update : She passed 😥 . Initially it seemed she might recover but she got less active again and I found her deceased this morning (probably passed during the night). I think the stress of the attack was too much for her, as she was completely healthy prior.
That's too bad! You did everything for her you could and I'm sure she had a happy life!

Back
Top Bottom