Lethargic Hen

Kayscheible

Hatching
Jan 22, 2024
Hello all! I have a hen that is coming up on 3 years old. Since Christmas, she has been acting very lethargic. Her comb is very pale, and she doesn’t more around much. She is still managing to jump up onto the roosting bar, but doesn’t do much other than that. I have been giving her electrolytes and oregano essential oil water through a syringe. If I put feed in front of her she will peck at it a bit, but not much. She doesn’t have any mites/lice. Any idea what could be wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_5408.jpeg
    IMG_5408.jpeg
    817.9 KB · Views: 24
I hope you looked up oregano essential oil dosages as that stuff is hugely potent. I was going to try it and it literally shocked me HOW potent.

Anyway, has she laid an egg lately or is that nothing to do with it?

Hows her poop been looking? Hows her belly feel to you?

Check her crop at night, then the next morning to make sure that it's emptying out.

Do you have other chickens with any symptoms?

You could offer some wet crumbles/feed as usually that's a hit. Some scrambled eggs might be too. Just anything to get her eating as she's going to get run down meanwhile we try figuring this out.

I hope you looked up oregano essential oil dosages as that stuff is hugely potent. I was going to try it and it literally shocked me HOW potent.

Anyway, has she laid an egg lately or is that nothing to do with it?

Hows her poop been looking? Hows her belly feel to you?

Check her crop at night, then the next morning to make sure that it's emptying out.

Do you have other chickens with any symptoms?

You could offer some wet crumbles/feed as usually that's a hit. Some scrambled eggs might be too. Just anything to get her eating as she's going to get run down meanwhile we try figuring this out.
Yes, I read one drop per gallon of water. As far as poop, I don’t even know if she’s eating enough to poop. She is very skinny. They have a free choice feeder, but I haven’t seen her at the feeder in a LONG time. She is the only one that is acting that way.

Back
Top Bottom