Lethargic Hen

FourandSix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Eugene, Oregon

One of my hens has been acting strange, she is just standing around, with her head scrunched down, and her feathers are also a little puffed up. I just saw her drink some water, but I have not seen her eating. Anything I should check for?

Last edited:
They all live in my backyard, my others chickens are acting normal. This week it has been in the low 30's at night, and hasn't gotten much above 50 during the day.

Sorry I don't have any answers. It sounds like she is cold or not feeling good?? Could she have gotten into any thing toxic, moldy, bad scrapes (some human food is poison to chickens)? What does her vent look like? Check what you can. The more info the better.

My hen is doing the same thing I've had two other hens act like this, they start to lose weight than die but I don't know what it is? We have a heat lamp in there to keep them warm , she is sick I just wish I knew with what so I could help her. She is a golden sex link and is 2 1/2 years old, I don't know if that helps at all?

Sorry I don't have any answers. It sounds like she is cold or not feeling good?? Could she have gotten into any thing toxic, moldy, bad scrapes (some human food is poison to chickens)? What does her vent look like? Check what you can. The more info the better.

I don't know of anything that would be toxic, but I really don't know. She looks completely normal, however a couple days ago I did notice a small amount of yellow, yolk looking substance come out of her vent while she was roosting.

Yesterday she acted pretty normal, she was free ranging with the other chickens. But this morning she is back to just standing there again.

Maybe, last time I took one of my chickens to the vet it didn't work out very well. I would like to try doing what I can for her before taking her.

Back
Top Bottom