Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FourandSix, Jan 3, 2014.

1. FourandSix

FourandSix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    [​IMG]

One of my hens has been acting strange, she is just standing around, with her head scrunched down, and her feathers are also a little puffed up. I just saw her drink some water, but I have not seen her eating. Anything I should check for?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Can you give some more info on her, surroundings, the flock..? How cold is it where you are?

3. FourandSix

Mar 28, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    They all live in my backyard, my others chickens are acting normal. This week it has been in the low 30's at night, and hasn't gotten much above 50 during the day.

4. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Sorry I don't have any answers. It sounds like she is cold or not feeling good?? Could she have gotten into any thing toxic, moldy, bad scrapes (some human food is poison to chickens)? What does her vent look like? Check what you can. The more info the better.

5. Emilyi

Emilyi New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    My hen is doing the same thing I've had two other hens act like this, they start to lose weight than die but I don't know what it is? We have a heat lamp in there to keep them warm , she is sick I just wish I knew with what so I could help her. She is a golden sex link and is 2 1/2 years old, I don't know if that helps at all?

6. FourandSix

Mar 28, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don't know of anything that would be toxic, but I really don't know. She looks completely normal, however a couple days ago I did notice a small amount of yellow, yolk looking substance come out of her vent while she was roosting.

7. Emilyi

Emilyi New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Maybe the egg broke inside of her?

8. FourandSix

Mar 28, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yesterday she acted pretty normal, she was free ranging with the other chickens. But this morning she is back to just standing there again.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

10. FourandSix

Mar 28, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Maybe, last time I took one of my chickens to the vet it didn't work out very well. I would like to try doing what I can for her before taking her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by