Lethargic Hen

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
My 2 1/2 year old Gold Star is acting very ill. I just found her that way not even an hour ago. She is lethargic and won't eat, and barely drinks. I have not been out to the coop for 4-5 days because I came down with a nasty virus that turned into bronchitis and almost put me in the hospital. I am not sure how long she has been acting this way. Her crop feels fine. I felt for a possible egg in her, but she is so skinny that I can't tell if what I am feeling is a bone or an egg. She is standing upright and fluffed out. Her vent is pale pink. He comb is shrunk and lost its color. She has greenish yellow poop stuck to her vent feathers. Her breathing is wheezy. I was able to get her to drink about 1/4 tsp of water with electrolytes. I have no clue what is wrong with her! I had a chicken (Her sister, a gold star) that died very suddenly a month or two ago. I'm not sure if this is related. Also, her other sister died of either egg yolk peritonitis or sour crop in February. Is there anything I can do for her?

Last edited:
Wheezing is a sign of respiratory disease. Does she have any runny nose or eye drainage? Greenish yellow diarrhea can be a sign of E.coli infection. Is taking her to a vet a possibility? She sounds very ill.

No runny nose or eye drainage. I have looked, and there is no avian vet around my area. Would a small animal vet be able to help at all? No other chickens are showing signs of illness.

I went out to check on her again and she is in the nesting box. She looks like she is trying really hard to lay an egg. Egg bound?

Can you give her a calcium tablet, a Tums, or crush up some egg shell in some egg, yogurt, or her favorite food? Give her some time to lay the egg. A warm soak in a shallow tub of water while massaging her abdomen toward the vent later on may help her pass an egg if that is a problem. Does she have any signs of coccidiosis--lethargy, puffing up, diarrhea with or without blood, ruffled feathers, and poor appetite? Feel of her crop to check if it is empty (it should be full at night and empty by morning,) and check her lice and mites. Have you wormed her lately?

Yes, I have wormed and mited them, just a month ago. I will try getting her some calcium. Yes, she is lethargic, puffing up, ruffled feathered, and will not eat, and maybe diarrhea. (Without blood.) Thank you very much for your help!

No runny nose or eye drainage. I have looked, and there is no avian vet around my area. Would a small animal vet be able to help at all? No other chickens are showing signs of illness.

A small animal vet that's willing to see a chicken should be able to help.

-Kathy

Yes, I have wormed and mited them, just a month ago. I will try getting her some calcium. Yes, she is lethargic, puffing up, ruffled feathered, and will not eat, and maybe diarrhea. (Without blood.) Thank you very much for your help!
A vet would be good since she is so ill. Since you are seeing signs of coccidiosis, then I would start treating with Corid (amprollium,) Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds that are together. Corid can be found in the cattle section of feed stores.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

I do have some corid already, but I think she's too far gone. I just spent the last couple hours bathing and massaging her, trying to get her to drink. I don't expect her to last much longer at all. Her breathing is becoming slower and harder. :(

Back
Top Bottom