Lethargic hens

L Home Farm

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Ireland
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Salmon Faverolles hen, 4, underweight. Cream Legbars, 25ish weeks, ok, and some underweight. (Worst ones underweight)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargy, puffed feathers, not great appetite.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 3 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? There is about 4 in total.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I got geese. They have been molting. It got cold suddenly. These are all the out of the things
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Their normal grain mix, and foraging, a little. They have been drinking, I added ACV to the water when I noticed them looking low
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I syringed the worst 2 honey, cayenne, wormwood and black walnut tinctures, in warm water. They all got a bit of ACV in their water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No vet. I will do what I can myself. I love my chickens, but I can’t justify it and the vets here don’t know much about chickens anyway
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Get some pics tomorrow if needed.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use wooden frame, plastic roof and wall, rest is mesh. It needs more walls, I admit.
Bedding is grass, then when it gets poopy hay

Any help appreciated, I really don’t want to lose any.

Are all the lethargic hens molting? Do they have any other symptoms aside from what you have mentioned?

Are their crops full in the evening and empty in the morning, and how do they feel? How does their comb and face color look? Do they have any signs of parasites?

You say that you're feeding a grain mix. What specifically are you feeding? Have you checked to make sure there are no signs of mold in the feed or of the feed otherwise going bad?

Last edited:
They have just finished molting. There are a few pretty skinny. Not that I know of, they are just acting off. One was Standing eyes closed today.

Crops seem good, only there’s 1 I can’t catch so I’ll check when they go to roost.
Combs/faces are pale.
Not that I can see.

It’s a mix of oats, barley, rye, peas, beans. They also got dried kelp yesterday, I gave some to the flock as I think they need more protein.
It’s great, perfect condition. No dust or mold.

Back
Top Bottom