Lethargic, not eating only drinking

scarletjane36

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
I have six chickens, 3 chantaclers and 3 silkies. One of the chantacler girls is lethargic, she drinks hasn't been eating and is pretty emaciated. I separated her from the others, she is pooping a watery clear poop with a few green pellets. I gave her some plain yogurt and that she ate. Not sure what she has so not sure how to treat her. The other chickens seem more excited than usual and are eating like crazy, but I notice another of the chantacler girls is off by herself and although she is eating and drinking that is how the other one started.

The chickens are three months old, they have always been together. They have been treated for cocci about a month ago. They have never been dewormed.

I have found Valbazen at Southern States if you have one in your town, and I would agree with worming them. Tractor Supply generally doesn't carry that one. If they have had coccidiosis in the past, the pullet may just have not recovered well, or she could also have developed necrotizing enteritis, which can sometimes can happen. It is usually caused by a bacteria in the soil. If she doesn't show improvement with the wormer, then I would treat for NE. Many antibiotics will treat that, such as amoxicillin, aureomycin, oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, and penicillin. Here is some info regarding enteritis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/184/necrotic-enteritis

Last edited:
I'm in Canada, they don't really sell these in my local store. I've been adding garlic to their water for the last 4 days. I have Lincomix which I can use on the quarantined pullet.

Update:

I don't think she will make it. Today she can't get up or open her eyes. I'm very sad I only had two chantecler hens and they are both ill.
I have quarantined the second one, she is also pooping bright green.

The lincomycin would treat enteritis. Sorry that she is worse. Does the second chicken have any different symptoms, such as leg weakness or paralysis? If the first one dies, I would do a necropsy and look at her digestive tract (inside of crop, gizzard, and intestines) so that you may find an answer. Take pictures if possible. Not everyone can do this, I realize, but sometimes it helps to know. Do you have a local vet who could do one for you?

The first one died and I contacted the vet about a necropsy, I'm so heartbroken and my husband is even worse. The second one is showing the same symptoms, she doesn't want to eat.

Update: The second one is showing signs of instability on her feet and her wings are drooping.

Back
Top Bottom