Lethargic, not pooping, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baby Corn, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Baby Corn

Baby Corn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Southeast Alabama, USA
    My 7 month old splash Cochin is sick :( I thought she was going broody, so she has been in the broody cage since Sunday evening(2/9). She was acting normally aside from wanting to sit in her laying spot, plucking her breast a bit, and getting poofy/ clucking angrily when I picked her up out of her spot. She has quit laying, her last egg was on Saturday (2/8).

This morning (2/12), she is lethargic, not eating. When I took her out of the broody cage back with the flock, she walked out and had a little bit to drink, but then just sat down out in the rain and closed her eyes. She had food and water the whole time she was in the broody cage, but I noticed less poo under the cage this morning.

I took her inside the house and she has yet to make any poop. It's been about 3 hours.

She will drink a bit with an rye dropper but is not interested in food... Her vent looks dry, no bulges or anything. Her crop feels squishy like its half full of water.

Any advice?

2. BuffBuff123

BuffBuff123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    Köln, Germany
    Almost definitely a crop infection! Get the chicken to the vet if you can! Search it up online for treatment, I don't know how to treat it I just know the symptoms and that it is almost definitely a crop infection!

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Shes young I think to go broody. She might have an impacted or sour crop.

Check her vent internally to see if shes egg bound. Lubricate your finger and do the internal exam.

Deworm her with safeguard and treat her anyways for mites, lice with sevins dust.

4. Baby Corn

Aug 6, 2013
    Southeast Alabama, USA
    Is not pooping a symptom of sour crop? I squished her crop about and heard some gas bubbles, but there is no smell. Still no poop, drinking a few drops of water every half hour or 15 min.

5. Baby Corn

Aug 6, 2013
    Southeast Alabama, USA
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of her vent. See what I mean about it looking dry? There is kind of a yellowish tinge to it. Still no poop, not even a watery one.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Not sure what's going on with her but her skin looks like she might be dehydrated. Birds dehydrate very quickly if they don't drink enough for a day or so. You might try getting some water and electrolytes into her, tubing would be best since it's hard to get enough fluid into a bird via syringe. Then you could also tube feed her. Sometimes they really perk up once you get some fluids and nutrition into them, it at least gives you a little more time to try to figure out what's going on. They crash fast when they don't eat or drink.

If you are interested Casportpony has some excellent "how to" info on tube feeding.

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Check to see if she has a stucked egg.

8. Baby Corn

Aug 6, 2013
    Southeast Alabama, USA
    She died yesterday evening :(

9. pwand