Lethargic Orpington - what should I be looking for?

sixlittlechicks09

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Wyalusing
Hi everyone,
This is the first time one of our hens has been ill (thank the lord, three years and no sicknesses) and I really don't know what I should be looking for.
We have a 2 year old Black orpington hen, yesterday I noticed she was acting a little off, she had bad diarrhea stuck to her butt feathers, and she wasn't running around with the other hens. I chalked it up to her being my only black hen and the temps yesterday being close to 90 degrees. This morning I checked and she was in bad shape, she was laying in the corner of the coop alone and her comb and wattles are so pale they're almost white. So I took her in our cool basement and put her by herself to watch. She hasn't pooped yet and she's been down there for almost an hour, she pecked at the food a little and stuck her beak in the water twice then left them both alone. She doesn't walk unless she has to, when you put her down she stands for about thirty seconds then her right wing drops and she kind of flops down. She's not panting. I felt her crop and it feels about halfway full, not really unusual and I felt her bum but I don't feel any eggs or swelling. We had mites bad about a month ago and I treated our hens with Sevin dust - I see no mites on her now.
What should I be looking for? Anything I should check? Or does anyone have any ideas what it might be? thanks so much!!

Update - She just pooped for the first time since this morning. I gave her a warm sitz bath - it was very runny and very pasty yellow. =\ I really don't think it's worms.

Argh. Well it is kind of like the foamy yellow worm poop but runnier. To tsc I go. Any idea how long it'll take after I worm her for her to be up and normal again?

An update - she passed away about a half hour ago
sad.png
I'll miss my little mika. I think I'm going to try to get a necropsy on her to see if I can find what killed her.

Back
Top Bottom