Lethargic & pale hen -what am I missing?!

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
My Sapphire Gem isn’t doing so great. I’ve been looking her over and see nothing out of the ordinary besides her being pale and lethargic. Not egg bound. No mites. Crop seems to be emptying. All other chickens are happy and healthy. She’s had probiotics, scrambled eggs, granite grit and is isolated. She was a high production hen for most of her 2-3 years. Hasn’t laid in months. What am I missing?
587803B3-9ED6-482E-8576-9A999D863413.jpeg

A73F9EA7-93A4-4D40-8297-733360F91FB8.jpeg
0F81EAA8-5138-4F41-ABD4-D873FBB73A9C.jpeg

How long has she had the pale comb? As long as her lethargic behavior and egg laying layoff?

Has she always had that swelling of the tissue around her eye socket? Is it the same on the right eye? The swelling could signal a respiratory infection.

More concerning is her cessation of egg laying. That could signal a chronic reproductive infection or internal laying.

How long has she had the pale comb? As long as her lethargic behavior and egg laying layoff?

Has she always had that swelling of the tissue around her eye socket? Is it the same on the right eye? The swelling could signal a respiratory infection.

More concerning is her cessation of egg laying. That could signal a chronic reproductive infection or internal laying.

she’s had pale comb for a few weeks now. She has the same swelling on both eyes. Is there anything I can do to help reproduction infection or internal laying? The last egg she laid was months ago and it was a fairy egg. If that helps

You can always try an antibiotic if you can find one. I use amoxicillin. I get it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

It does sound like a reproductive infection, possibly egg yolk peritonitis. But since it's been going on for so long, it may be too late to reverse the damage and knock out the infection.

thank you so much for your help and suggestions. Unfortunately I lost her today. I think you were right with it being a reproductive infection

I'm sorry. It's hard to lose the first chicken, but it never gets easier. We are attached to these feathered beings, probably even some who raise them for food.

Back
Top Bottom