Lethargic pullet, watery poop, weird egg like substance

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My EE pullet was outside w the rest of the flock. She stood off to the side, on & off looking like she was trying to poop. I saw watery & clear liquidy stuff come out, then this:
1676226887070.jpeg

And about 5 minutes after while I was writing this post, this: (a soft shelled egg)
1676226965789.jpeg

She is moving a little more since it came out. Any advice? Things to watch for?

Looks like a weird egg with a tail which you will find documented in a lot of articles, and a soft shell egg. She might have had a glitch in her laying, but I would give a human calcium plus vitamin D tablet for a few days, to see if it helps. Are you giving them layer feed with a separate pan of crushed oyster shell, and very few extras? Hens with egg laying issues, may be lethargic or weak while they are having trouble laying, but may perk up once the egg comes out. Here is a weird egg article, including one with a tail:
https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

What exactly are you feeding your flock?
What feed and do you feed treats?

Thank you @Eggcessive i just went and picked it up & gave her a tablet. She was a little more energetic. Hopefully she eats again before roosting.

@Kiki My flock gets starter/grower with oyster shell on the side. Occasional greens if we have them left over. And whatever they get foraging. I don’t give other treats.

Thank you @Eggcessive i just went and picked it up & gave her a tablet. She was a little more energetic. Hopefully she eats again before roosting.

@Kiki My flock gets starter/grower with oyster shell on the side. Occasional greens if we have them left over. And whatever they get foraging. I don’t give other treats.
I'd start feeding layer feed if I were you. This bird needs to not have the option to decide for herself.

I'd start feeding layer feed if I were you. This bird needs to not have the option to decide for herself.
I can do that when I don’t have chicks. They will have to get used to switching on & off. I know calcium is dangerous for babies.

Yes, I always went back to all flock feed when I had young ones. Some hens can have problems with the shell gland in the oviduct, and no matter how much calcium they get, they may not have strong egg shells. One of my girls (best layer of big eggs,) got chased and injured by a friend‘s dog out walking. She stopped laying for months, and never laid a hard shell again.

Yes, I always went back to all flock feed when I had young ones. Some hens can have problems with the shell gland in the oviduct, and no matter how much calcium they get, they may not have strong egg shells. One of my girls (best layer of big eggs,) got chased and injured by a friend‘s dog out walking. She stopped laying for months, and never laid a hard shell again.
Thank you again. She seems more perky since the egg came out & I gave her the tablet. I’ll give her one every day throigh Friday. Hopefully that will help. She is the only one that lays light green, so I’ll be able to tell. All of the shells so far have been hard to break when we crack them, so this was a big surprise.

I’ve been giving her the calcium tablet every night at roosting. Her activity level has been normal since that day. Today she laid an egg!

68g

Very big. Here it is compared to one from a different pullet:
1676425797035.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom