Lethargic rabbit, doesn't eat any food, please help!

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hello todays morning i noticed that my rabbit (female) lays in the corner of the cage, she only changes her position (from laying on her belly to laying on her side with back legs stretched out. She didn't eat her breakfast carrot, cauliflower leaf and dried dill stalks. She's been eating one to two cauliflower leaves a day for a few days. She eats a carrot daily, medium/small one. I threw the food out and left her with only fresh water in a bowl and hay. There was a rest of rabbit feed and some wheat which she didn't finish eating yesterday and i threw it out too. Rabbit feed is "polluted" with chicken feed but not the franulated one, but the one that looks like scratch which she always lefts and I throw it out when she finishes. She doesn't move from that corner and doesn't react to being touched. There is no sign of a diarrhea, her butt is clear and under her tail is clear too. Her belly seems soft. Please help. The dill comes from my garden and the cauliflower leaves and carrots are store-bought. She's overweight.

The breakfast wasn't even touched. She always eats breakfast and supper right when i give it to her. + she seems sleepy. She lives in an outdoor rabbit hutch which is covered for the night (its winter)

She could be going into GI stasis.
I would at least call your vet.

When was she last bred? Did she ever end up giving birth?
How often is she groomed? If they injest to much if their own hair it can block their GI tract.
What kind of hay are you feeding her?

You'll need to put her on a diet. Unlimited hay with fresh veggies in the morning and evenings (for breakfast and dinner) and only ¼ a cup of rabbit pellets. I'm not sure what brands you have where you are but I recommend Oxbow. Cut out extra treats for now. You can slowly re introduce them in small amounts. A tewat should consist of a slice of carrot, apple, or banana. No more than one (or sometimes two) a day.

Does she get much exercise?

She could be going into GI stasis.
I would at least call your vet.

When was she last bred? Did she ever end up giving birth?
How often is she groomed? If they injest to much if their own hair it can block their GI tract.
What kind of hay are you feeding her?

You'll need to put her on a diet. Unlimited hay with fresh veggies in the morning and evenings (for breakfast and dinner) and only ¼ a cup of rabbit pellets. I'm not sure what brands you have where you are but I recommend Oxbow. Cut out extra treats for now. You can slowly re introduce them in small amounts. A tewat should consist of a slice of carrot, apple, or banana. No more than one (or sometimes two) a day.

Does she get much exercise?
Male has mated her in late august but she didn't gave a birth. She isn't groomed, but yesterday she seemed completely fine. She gets normal hay from a farmer. The only exercise she gets is running in her hutch cuz she is a farm rabbit. Vet doesn't seem to be an option as I as a teenager can't drive and parents tell me to wait because "she may get better"

Male has mated her in late august but she didn't gave a birth. She isn't groomed, but yesterday she seemed completely fine. She gets normal hay from a farmer. The only exercise she gets is running in her hutch cuz she is a farm rabbit. Vet doesn't seem to be an option as I as a teenager can't drive and parents tell me to wait because "she may get better"
Oof okay. I'm a teen too, I feel you

The thing is, thigh she may get better, its very possible that she could die.

Here are some things you could try that should help her

1. fluid therapy for rehydration.
  2. nutritional support (syringe feeding if not eating)
  3. antibiotic(s) (if there is an underlying bacterial infection)
  4. motility modifying drugs to enhance movement of food through the stomach and intestines.
  5. pain relievers.
  6. anti-inflammatory medications.

Back
Top Bottom