Lethargic RR roo

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
Our rooster, Fluffy is acting real weird and lethargic. I went out side to give them some food and he was standing at the door of the coop with his feathers all fluffed out like he was could and his head was kind of hanging. So I picked him up and brought him inside to try an warm him up but he's still acting weird and I don't know what to do. I made him a little spot on my floor with a heating pad and he's using the towel as a pillow..he's so still I get scared he's just died on me. Does anyone know whats wrong? :'c

OK I assume you meant 3 years old???

So I'd check to see if he has mites/lice. You can consider worming him, but the worming medications are hard on them...so if he is near death then that might just kill him if it isn't worms. So it is a judgement call.

I don't know what is wrong with him, but those are some things to consider. Some vets will do a fecal test for coccidiosis and worms for a small fee.

If it were my roo I'd worm him if 3 years old and acting like that.

Is he skinny, any respiratory problems, any diarrhea?

Last edited:
OK I assume you meant 3 years old???

So I'd check to see if he has mites/lice. You can consider worming him, but the worming medications are hard on them...so if he is near death then that might just kill him if it isn't worms. So it is a judgement call.

I don't know what is wrong with him, but those are some things to consider. Some vets will do a fecal test for coccidiosis and worms for a small fee.

If it were my roo I'd worm him if 3 years old and acting like that.

Is he skinny, any respiratory problems, any diarrhea?
He's not skinny at all and hasn't sneezed once and the stools been normal. He was just fine this morning when I fed them before school..I'll check to see if he has any mites or lice. What exactly do they look like?

*UPDATE*
After a little bit on the heating pad he's become more lively (readjusting, ect.) and he's breathing a lot better so now I can actually tell he's breathing.

Quote: Hmm maybe not worms then if he isn't skinny. Also with worms I'd expect diarrhea. OK I just don't know what is wrong. Anyone else????

Mites will be like little bits of black pepper and lice are straw colored. Also there can just be mites in the coop that come out at night but this sounds like it is just your roo having troubles. Sorry I can't help more.

Hmm maybe not worms then if he isn't skinny. Also with worms I'd expect diarrhea. OK I just don't know what is wrong. Anyone else????

Mites will be like little bits of black pepper and lice are straw colored. Also there can just be mites in the coop that come out at night but this sounds like it is just your roo having troubles. Sorry I can't help more.
It's okay...I have a horrible feeling mites might be in the coop so tomorrow I'm going and getting some sevin dust :(

Make sure you dust every week with poultry dust at least twice, getting under the wings and around the vent area (not the face), and the coop as well (you can spray your coop or use dust). Otherwise the mite/lice eggs hatch out again. I use a tied-off old sock (you can use a stocking too) to powder puff them.

So treat, then retreat in 7 days.

If still infested, treat again 7 days later.

Back
Top Bottom