Lethargic (sick?) Tolbunt Polish Chicken

Classroom Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
My chicken Harle seems to be sick. I think it's a he, but don't quote me on that. Lately he's just been sitting in the corner of the coop not really interested in doing anything. His wings are droopy (not too uncommon for him, but I thought I'd throw that out there), one more so than the other. He seems to have trouble balancing when you pick him up, which is pretty common for him, but he seems worse than usual. Harle doesn't seem to be drinking much, and I kind of suspect he can't find the water dish. If I put water directly in front of him, he drinks. If I don't, he doesn't drink. He seems to have more energy directly after he drinks, and he will stand and walk a little bit (though he stands in a lopsided way, which isn't normal for him). The rest of his polish flock is leaving him behind to forage, and he won't join them. He sometimes goes outside the coop, but doesn't do much when he's out there except stand near the coop. He was perfectly fine about two weeks ago, but then we went out of town and he just doesn't seem to be the same. I did give him a quick look over, and his nostrils are clear, his legs look fine and I didn't see mites (though I may have missed some, I don't know). Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? What should I do? Need help ASAP, he's the whole family's favorite!

Does he have a blockage in his crop? You can pick him up and feel around his lower neck and down toward the top of his breast bone. If there's a big lump, then he may have a blockage in his crop.

We had a hen who was acting similar to your post, lethargic, no interest in eating (a troublesome sign for a chicken), and that's what it turned out to be. (Too many tortilla chips as a snack, we reckon.) I massaged and squeezed the blockage in her crop (harder than you might expect), which seemed to do the trick. She was better by then end of the day. Hope this helps.

Does he have a blockage in his crop? You can pick him up and feel around his lower neck and down toward the top of his breast bone. If there's a big lump, then he may have a blockage in his crop.

We had a hen who was acting similar to your post, lethargic, no interest in eating (a troublesome sign for a chicken), and that's what it turned out to be. (Too many tortilla chips as a snack, we reckon.) I massaged and squeezed the blockage in her crop (harder than you might expect), which seemed to do the trick. She was better by then end of the day. Hope this helps.

I didn't notice a blockage, but I'll check again when it's light out.

You need to check on the mareks threads. I have tolbunt and they seem to be susceptible to mareks. Those are frequently symptoms of it.

I can't think of any time he could've had the opportunity to get mareks, and he's the only one in the flock doing this, but I'll have a look anyway. I have thought that the symptoms resemble it, but I just haven't been able to think of any scenario where he would've been at risk of getting mareks. I will definitely be looking, though.

Well, he ended up not making it. Still not sure what happened, but the other chickens are still acting just fine, thankfully. Keeping an eye out, though.

Back
Top Bottom